Eddie Koiki Mabo Timeline
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- One Search
- A-Z Databases
- Books, DVDs & More
- Journal Articles
- Subject Guides
- Past Exams
- Research Online @ JCU
- Open Access Resources
- Subject Guides
- Online Information Skills Training
- LinkedIn Learning
- Endnote Library Guide
- Copyright - About the JCU Copyright section
- Copyright Officer for the University
- For Undergraduate Students
- For Postgraduate Students
- For Lecturers
- Copyright - Fair Dealing
- ePortfolios & Copyright
- Copyright, the Internet and Music
- Copyright - Creative Commons
- Copyright - Creating Works
- Copyright Warning Notices for Staff
- Copyright Acronyms and Terminology
- ResearchOnline@JCU - Copyright
- Helpful Copyright Links and Resources
- The Learning Centre
- Referencing Library Guide
- Annotated Bibliography
- Literature Reviews
- I am a
- Special Collections
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
A Brief Timeline of Eddie Koiki Mabo's Life
b. June 29, 1936 – d. January 21, 1992
29 June 1936
Born on Mer (Murray) Island in the Torres Strait.
Left Mer Island and moved to mainland Australia.
1962 to 21 January 1992
Engaged in active community service in the spheres of politics, trade unions, Indigenous Australian rights and services, and public events.
1969 to 1975
Employed as a gardener at JCU and formed friendships with academic staff. Was an active JCU Library user researching non-Indigenous views of his land, people and culture.
Discovered he did not have legal title over his land on Mer Island in a discussion with JCU historians Noel Loos and Henry Reynolds.
Spoke at a conference about land rights in the Torres Strait at JCU.
Decision made to take the Murray Islanders' case to court.
20 May 1982
Land rights case launched. Eddie Mabo is the first plaintiff in a group action.
8 December 1988
The High Court ruled in Mabo v Qld (No.1) that the Queensland Coast Islands Declaratory Act 1985 (Qld) was incompatible with the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth).
21 January 1992
Eddie Koiki Mabo passed away.
3 June 1992
The High Court overturned the legal doctrine of terra nullius 'land belonging to nothing, no one' delivering a verdict in favour of the Murray Islanders in Mabo v Qld (No. 2).
22 November 1992
Posthumously awarded the Australian Human Rights Medal.
26 January 1993
Recognised by The Australian newspaper as the 1992 Australian of the Year.
21 May 2008
JCU Library, Townsville, is officially named the Eddie Koiki Mabo Library.