2019 Blessing of the Academic Year
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
The Townsville campus 2019 Multifaith Blessing of the Academic Year was held on 6 March.
Peter Hanley, Chairperson of the JCU Multifaith Chaplaincy Committee, leads the opening prayer.
Sam Savage gives the Welcome to Country, while William Mabo plays reflective music on the didgeridoo.
Rev Canon Sharon Hayston gives a prayer of blessing on behalf of the Anglican faith.
A Baha'i prayer of blessing from Noel Hopley and Alicia Walter.
Phil Heang offers a Buddhist blessing.
A Catholic prayer of blessing from Fr Joshy Josh.
JCU Interfaith Commitment:
We commit ourselves as people of many faiths to work together for the common good, uniting to build a better society, grounded in values and ideals we share: community, personal integrity, a sense of right and wrong, learning, wisdom and love of truth, care and compassion, justice and peace, respect for one another, for the earth and its creatures.
We commit ourselves in a spirit of friendship and cooperation to work together alongside all who share our values and ideals, to bring about a better world now and for generations to come.
Meera Sivayoganathan (left) and Dr Smriti Krishna offer a Hindu blessing.
Imam Abdullah Salik offers a prayer of blessing on behalf of the Islamic community.
Alex Salvador performed the Jewish hymn, Hinei Ma Tov.
Rev Bruce Cornish gave the address on behalf of the Uniting Church of North Queensland.
All photos: Bethany Keats, JCU Media