2021 Blessing of the Academic Year
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
The 2021 Blessing of the Academic Year was held at the JCU Bebegu Yumba campus with a live stream to the Nguma-bada campus.
JCU Interfaith Commitment:
We commit ourselves as people of many faiths to work together for the common good, uniting to build a better society, grounded in values and ideals we share: community, personal integrity, a sense of right and wrong, learning, wisdom and love of truth, care and compassion, justice and peace, respect for one another, for the earth and its creatures.
We commit ourselves in a spirit of friendship and cooperation to work together alongside all who share our values and ideals, to bring about a better world now and for generations to come.
JCU Multifaith Chaplain Crystal Greive welcomed people to the event.
The opening prayer from Peter Hanley, Chair of the JCU Multifaith Chaplaincy Committee.
Address by Vice Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding.
A Buddhist prayer of blessing from Phil Heang.
Fr Joshy John with a Catholic blessing.
A Hindu blessing from Prof Shashidhar Venkatesh.
Dr Omer Shareef gave an Islamic blessing.
Prof Zoltan Sarnyai offered a Jewish blessing.
A Uniting Church blessing by Rev Lorne Anderson.
The address was given by the Right Reverend Dr Keith Joseph, Bishop of North Queensland Anglican Diocese.
Attendees were asked to light a candle as a symbol of unity and togetherness: Think about the things you have been holding onto from the past year. Then when you are ready, light your candle using the switch underneath to symbolise letting these things go. Afterwards consider the things you are grateful for as you bring your candle up to the table. Putting your candle down next to others’ candles signifies a willingness to move forward together as a community.
Larissa Siliezar, Manager of Student Equity and Wellbeing.
Chancellor Bill Tweddell.
Prof Stephen Naylor, Chair of the Academic Board.
Vice Chancellor Prof Sandra Harding.
Reflective music from Alex Salvador.