You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU recruits students from PNG
JCU recruits students from PNG
First published 5 June 2012
Information sessions will be held in Port Moresby next month for people interested in learning about study at James Cook University.
JCU has campuses in Cairns and Townsville in northern Queensland and in Singapore.
The public information sessions will be held on Friday June 15 for shortlisted AusAid Scholarship recipients and the general public.
AusAID, or the Australian Agency for International Development is the Australian Government agency that manages Australia's overseas aid program.
AusAID focuses on the Asia Pacific region, particularly in PNG and the Pacific.
JCU’s International Relations and Recruitment Manager, and host of the information sessions, Matt Monkhouse said Australia – and JCU in particular - and PNG already had close ties.
“In recent years, JCU has consolidated its relationship with PNG through agreements with Divine Word University, Modilon General Hospital, Pacific Adventist University and the University of PNG,” Mr Monkhouse said.
“JCU staff regularly travel to PNG to collaborate with these institutions to undertake field placements and research activities, host regular alumni events and participate in higher education exhibitions.”
Mr Monkhouse said JCU was also a participant in the PNG AusAID Scholarship program.
“JCU receives many AusAID scholarship recipients and self funded students from PNG across a variety of study areas each year,” he said.
“Many JCU graduates have returned home to make significant contributions to PNG, using the skills and knowledge gained during their studies.
“JCU instils the necessary skills in graduates to enable capacity building across priority areas for PNG. This contributes to Papua New Guinea’s economic and social development, both national and provincial.”
Mr Monkhouse said JCU had received high rankings in international surveys of tertiary study and its research and teaching was relevant to PNG and the tropical region.
“We have a very close proximity to PNG, with direct flights to Cairns with immediate links to Townsville, unique study locations, strong alumni connection with large PNG student body and world-class teaching and research facilities.
JCU was one of the world’s leading research universities in the tropics, he said.
Details of information sessions:
Date: Friday 15th June
Location: Port Moresby Holiday Inn
Times: Presentations are scheduled for 11.00am and 2.00pm
For more information or interviews, contact Matt Monkhouse on +61 439 711 916, email email@example.com, Skype: matthew.monkhouse or go to www.jcu.edu.au
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture