You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU students rewarded with bursaries
JCU students rewarded with bursaries
Two James Cook University students will receive bursaries today (May 4) from a foundation set up in honour of renowned former Townsville businessman and popular community identity Philip Leong.
The $5000 bursaries are being awarded as part of the Philip Leong Youth Programme, designed to give young people a chance to achieve their best.
The program, now in its seventh year, recognises young people who live in Townsville and who have demonstrated potential excellence, talent, skill or achievements.
It is designed to support those who exhibit the potential and desire to further their talents but who, without assistance, may struggle to fulfil their potential.
To date $60,000 has been awarded to local citizens.
Kayla Richards, a third year commerce student, and first year nursing student Christina Grasso will receive the bursaries today in a special presentation on campus.
Philip Leong Advisory Board Chairman Angelo Coco said the program was set up in recognition of a man who led by example and was a model citizen in the region.
Mr Coco said Philip Leong came to Australia from China in 1936, taking up Australian citizenship and a North Queensland way of life with great enthusiasm.
“His many and varied business enterprises created employment for thousands of people,” Mr Coco said.
“Mr Leong maintained the highest standard of ethics and service. The bursaries recognise this attribute and offer local youth the opportunity to follow his example.
“Mr Leong was a generous supporter of community-based organisations and his contributions to the community have ensured its growth and success. The program will enable future community leaders to help shape their community and for them to shine in their chosen field.”
The Philip Leong Youth Programme is administered by Community Enterprise Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Bendigo Bank.
The program has the support of the Townsville City Council, businesses and local community leaders.
Issued: May 4, 2012
Media enquiries: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture