You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Cairns JCU chief to move on
Cairns JCU chief to move on
The head of James Cook University’s Cairns campus, Dr Stephen Weller, has been appointed Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration) at the Australian Catholic University.
The position is based in Sydney and Dr Weller, who is also JCU’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University Services, will take up his new position in April next year.
“The decision to leave JCU and Cairns has been a very difficult one to make however a return to Sydney and family was always a strong possibility,” Dr Weller said.
“The experience at JCU and in Cairns has been an incredibly rewarding opportunity professionally and personally and I will continue to be actively engaged in my role for the coming months.
"JCU is such an integral and important part of the Cairns community, I have no doubt whatsoever that the University will continue its active engagement agenda no matter who is fortunate enough to replace me in this great job," he said.
JCU’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding congratulated Dr Weller and said he had done an outstanding job across the areas for which he is responsible, since joining the University at the beginning of 2010.
“Fortunately for him, but sadly for us and for the Cairns community of which he has become an important part, a good opportunity presented itself with ACU,” she said.
“Stephen’s key achievements have been in areas including overseeing issues on the Cairns campus before, during and after Cyclone Yasi, sharpening JCU’s approach to critical incidents, health and safety matters, student experience and engagement, and information technology.”
Professor Harding said that Dr Weller had been a most valuable contributor as a member of the Vice-Chancellor’s Advisory Committee and an excellent colleague.
The ACU announcement noted that Dr Weller had more than 20 years experience in tertiary education across five universities in three states.
Professor Greg Craven, ACU’s Vice-Chancellor, welcomed Dr Weller to the University and said his skills and experience would be a great asset.
“Dr Weller has long demonstrated a strong commitment to balancing the needs of students, academia, university and community. I congratulate him on his appointment, and look forward to his joining us at ACU in such an important leadership role,” Professor Craven said.
Issued November 19, 2012
Media enquiries: E. email@example.com T. 07 4042 1007
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture