You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU’s Education Central scores another award
JCU’s Education Central scores another award
JCU’s Education Central scores another award
James Cook University’s ground breaking education and student services building has received another award.
Last month, Education Central won the Australian New Construction Major Facility category in the Council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI) Australasia awards in Adelaide.
On Friday night, Education Central, designed by Wilson Architects with Architects North, was again acknowledged at the Australian Institute of Architects (AIA) National Architecture Awards.
The building won the Walter & Oliver Tunbridge Award for Building of the Year in the Public Architecture category.
The judging panel noted: “James Cook University's Education Central is the result of an intense reassessment by the architect and the University as to how contemporary students can learn. The resulting building and spaces are extraordinarily diverse and effective providing an enormously successful learning environment and a major contribution to the University’s urban landscape.”
Professor Nola Alloway, Dean of the College of Arts, Society and Education at JCU, said the award was a further reflection of the outstanding collaborative effort between the architect and the staff in the School of Education.
“During initial planning of the facility the design team and JCU teaching staff engaged in extensive consultation and collaboration to determine a campus upgrade that would improve student services and support contemporary methods of teaching and learning,” Professor Alloway said.
“The School staff worked with the architect to create innovative spaces with a view to optimising student engagement, motivation and learning outcomes.
JCU Education Central has improved student services and incorporates contemporary methods of learning and teaching.
The facility includes large-scale active learning spaces that support technology-enabled active learning (TEAL) areas that are spacious, well-appointed and flexible.
Education Central and Wilson Architects will now compete in the national AIA awards, which will be held in November.
JCU Media Liaison: Caroline Kaurila, tel; (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175.
First published June 23, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture