You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Graduate upgrades skills with PhD
Graduate upgrades skills with PhD
Graduate upgrades skills with PhD
A local teacher and professional photographer will graduate as a mature aged student in Townsville next week after completing postgraduate studies in education in tertiary studies and research.
Dr Robin Gauld will receive a PhD during the James Cook University Faculty of Law, Business and Creative Arts graduation ceremony on Thursday, March 20.
Originally from Melbourne, Dr Gauld moved to Townsville to work in the media then moved back to Melbourne to study photography at RMIT.
Following that, he worked with a large magazine group as an editorial photographer, eventually moving back to Townsville to run a small photography business and to teach photography part-time at JCU.
Dr Gauld completed a graduate certificate of education in tertiary studies and a graduate diploma of research methods. He then began a Masters in research, which was converted into a PhD. The process took about three and a half years.
Dr Gauld said it seemed like a logical step to return to study.
“While I was teaching part-time it seemed like a sensible thing to upgrade my qualifications, one thing led to another and I now have a PhD,” he said.
“I chose James Cook University for my PhD because I had some part-time teaching and tutoring work I also had a good relationship with my supervisor and saw no point in studying elsewhere.”
Dr Gauld said the PhD research was in areas he was familiar with - teaching photography, and the professional photography industry.
“Both these areas were combined into a study which encompassed the new technologies of a digital age,” he said.
Dr Gauld said the PhD was challenging and rewarding, if not exactly enjoyable.
“It is one of those great milestones that can be ticked off in your life,” he said.
“I believe that my research will have benefits to both teaching and learning in the creative sector and to the professional industry.
“A PhD is hard work and it teaches you amongst other things like research skills to be disciplined. Without the discipline these large projects would not be completed.”
While not currently working in teaching or photography, Dr Gauld said he was doing research assistance work but his goal was to find full-time work within the University environment.
Dr Gauld said the graduation was a significant event for him.
“It is a way to celebrate a worthy achievement with your family and friends. I am looking forward to frocking up and donning the floppy hat on Thursday week.”
Friends and family will be there on the day to help him celebrate, he said.
“It would be impossible to complete a PhD without the support of your family and friends,” he said.
“My wife Elizabeth has been very supportive over the years. She has had to endure a lot of my stress and anguish as I relentlessly struggled to complete the research.
“My friends, too have been inspirational, I have some very clever friends and have always been interested in my work and very supportive of it. It is in the end a team effort. It would be impossible to complete a PhD in isolation of family and friends but you have a responsibility to try and make the journey is painless for them as possible.”
Faculty of Law, Business and the Creative Arts 2014 Graduation
Date: Thursday, March 20, 2014
JCU Media Liaison: Caroline Kaurila, tel: (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
First published March 13, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture