You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU helps revitalise Townsville’s CBD
JCU helps revitalise Townsville’s CBD
JCU helps revitalise Townsville’s CBD
Renderings above and below are of JCU’s new presence in the City Arcade development, in Townsville’s CBD
James Cook University is expanding into Townsville's CBD, opening a teaching and student services centre in the heart of the city.
In a major announcement, the University has revealed the three-storey centre will be located in the new City Arcade development.
Speaking at today’s launch, JCU’s Vice Chancellor, Sandra Harding said the centre will help revitalise Townsville’s CBD and boost community engagement.
“This is a fantastic development, allowing JCU to expand its teaching and student services in Townsville, and work more closely with civic leaders”, she said.
Professor Harding said her long-held ambition has been that anyone who visits Townsville will know that it is a university city, which is home to an internationally recognised research and teaching institution.
“This gives life to that ambition. We are very grateful to the Lancini Group for helping us to realise this dream,” she said.
The centre will be used for a wide variety of purposes:
· Initially, students from Law, Business and the Creative Arts will take part in a diverse range of activities at the centre, including working more closely with business and industry on what’s known as Integrated Learning projects.
· Post-graduate classes will be offered, with the CBD location making it easier for people to attend lectures.
· Students will be able to ‘drop in’ to use computers, and some will attend lectures and tutorials at the new centre.
· The centre will host short courses for companies seeking professional development for their staff.
· The space will include a boardroom and meeting facilities, allowing the University to engage more directly with business and the local community.
· An innovative display area will showcase the University’s world-leading research.
City Arcade is part of the Lancini Group’s development which runs between Flinders and Sturt streets in Townsville’s CBD.
Lancini Group managing director, Laurence Lancini said that the University was the type of tenant that they had envisioned when planning the urban, cosmopolitan development.
“Our three levels of commercial space were perfect for James Cook University to set up their city base because we can offer the space they need to set up offices, computer labs and student service centres in such close proximity to not only everything that City Lane and City Arcade offers but also to the tourism, hospitality and retail hubs already existing in the inner city.”
“We’re really excited to have James Cook University on board with us as we embark on such a new era for the Townsville CBD,” Mr Lancini said.
The centre is expected to open in mid-2014.
James Cook University is also working to establish a presence in Cairns’ CBD in 2014 with negotiations continuing.
For more information contact:
JCU Head of Media and Communications,
(07) 4781 4822
0413 451 475
First published March 7, 2014
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture