Kicking up the heels at JCU before hitting the books
James Cook University is expecting up to 2000 new students to arrive on its Townsville campus next week to take part in Orientation Week, or O Week.
O Week at JCU is all about learning what study will involve, but there is also a fun side to the week, with plenty of social activities planned for the Townsville campus.
JCU Student Association President, Edward Harridge said there was a range of light-hearted social activities, to help new students ease into uni life before knuckling down to study.
“We’d like to welcome all new students to the 2016 O Week celebrations for another fun start to the year,” he said.
“The Student Association will be holding a range of fun events throughout O Week for both new and continuing students.
“Our events give new students the opportunity to sample the social side of student life and a chance to meet fellow students.
“Making uni enjoyable through the Student Association’s events is essential to keeping students motivated academically.”
Mr Harridge said Townsville students interested in attending any of the trips, events or tours need to drop into the Student Association Office (located in the Student Mall, across from the Bookshop).
“If you any questions about our O Week social calendar of events feel free to call us on 1800 330 021.”
Highlights on the O Week social calendar (Townsville):
Tuesday February 16
· Touring Townsville (Bus tour of Townsville for those new to town) – 2pm-5pm
· Dive in Movie Night 7pm (alcohol-free alternative)
· Toga Party (Mad Cow Tavern) – 8 pm–late. The ever-popular Toga Night is an 18+ event. ID required
· Sport and Rec Come & Try evening (Joe Baker Field, 5-7pm)
Wednesday February 17
* Market Day – 12pm-3pm at Market Square. Adjacent to Education Central. Free BBQ, business stalls and freebies, sign up to various clubs and societies
* Wicked Wednesday Open Day at JCU Gym (all day, 4.30pm-7pm activities) see what the centre has to offer
Thursday February 18
* Scavenger Hunt – 2pm-5pm
* Official JCU O Week Party - 5pm til late at the Sir George Kneipp Auditorium and lawns outside Building 26. It's a time to relax, meet other new students and join in the fun at the “tropical paradise” themed Official O Week event. Starts with an insightful and entertaining UNISMART presentation, followed by entertainment, food, drinks and prizes.
Friday February 19
* Billabong Sanctuary Trip – 12pm-4pm
* 18+ Alcohol event at Bludgers Bar at The Club – from 6pm. Featuring interstate DJs and local bands, this will be the biggest Uni Club event in years.