You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU rated best in the world against UN goal
JCU rated best in the world against UN goal
James Cook University has been judged the best university in the world in its commitment to the United Nation’s goal of reducing inequality.
The newly-published Times Higher Education University Impact Ratings ranks how universities are ‘walking the talk’, judged against the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
JCU has been found to be first in the world in working towards UN SDG 10 – reducing inequalities – which aims to eliminate economic imbalances.
JCU Vice Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding said it was heartening to be top-ranked, as the university was the first in Australia to formally commit to the principles of the Sustainable Development Goals.
“The ranking is an assessment of how universities are putting into practice their own commitments to SDGs, as reflected by internal policy and practices and outreach.
“The ranking means JCU is ‘walking the talk’,” she said.
The judging criteria for compliance with this SDG included evaluation of the percentage of students and staff with disabilities, a non-discriminatory admissions policy, anti-discrimination and harassment policies, support to students and staff from under-represented groups and cross cultural training and awareness.
JCU has also been ranked 10th in the world in the UN SDG of Quality Education, which aims to provide a high-quality, free education for all by 2030.
“We are committed to delivering high quality education and excellent research that delivers solutions to sustainable development challenges, providing the knowledge and skills needed to advance our people and places while promoting sustainable development,” Professor Harding said.
JCU has also been ranked equal 22nd in the world on promoting the UN’s SDG of Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions, equal 26th on the Decent Work and Economic Growth SDG and within the top 100 in three other criteria.
Overall, the university is ranked 39th in the world for its efforts in meeting the UN’s goals.
Professor Harding said JCU recognises the enormous social, economic, and environmental challenges facing the world.
“Future development must take place in a way that is socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable. Much of the activity and investment in support of the SDGs will take place in the tropics – and JCU as the university of the tropics is ideally placed to lead this,” she said.
JCU Head of Media and Communications
07 4781 4822
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture