The James Cook University Outstanding Alumni Awards recognise graduates of the University, and its predecessor institutions, who have made an outstanding contribution in their field of endeavor at a local, state, national or international level.
There are three categories of Outstanding Alumni Awards:
- Outstanding Alumni - up to two outstanding alumni selected by each of JCU's six Academic Colleges;
- Outstanding Early Career Alumni - one outstanding alumni selected by each of JCU's six Academic Colleges;
- Chancellor's Outstanding Alumnus Award - one chosen by JCU's Chancellor from all the winners in the Outstanding Alumni category.
Nominations open: Thursday 15th August 2019.
Nominations close: 5pm Saturday 30th November. You will receive an email acknowledgement of nomination receipt within 24-48 hours of submission.
Announcement of Winners: April 2020. Stay tuned for the date.
For the purpose of these awards the following definitions apply:
Alumni: Graduates of James Cook University and the Townsville College of Advanced Education and students of the University College of Townsville who graduated from the University of Queensland.
Early Career: Graduates of James Cook University who are aged 35 or under at 30th June in the year they are nominated.
Staff, alumni of the University and members of the public are able to nominate eligible candidates for the awards. Self-nomination is acceptable. Nomination of a current staff member will only be considered in extraordinary circumstances. All nominations are confidential.
To make a nomination you will need:
- A completed nomination form [fillable PDF download 2MB or Word DOC download 850kb]. The nomination form requires:
- Nominee's personal and professional details (if you are unsure of nominee's JCU qualification(s) or graduation date(s) you can email email@example.com);
- Nominator's details, contact information and relationship to nominee;
- Statement in support of Nominee (minimum 250 words);
- Professional resume (curriculum vitae) for Nominee (or as much as you can supply);
- Written reference from a 3rd party who is not closely related to the Nominee (related = spouse; de facto partner; ex spouse or de facto; child or step child; parent or step-parent' grandparent or step-grandparent; sister or step-sister; brother or step-brother, aunt; uncle; niece; nephew or first cousin);
- Supporting evidence such as awards, media reports etc (this section is optional).
Outstanding Alumni and Outstanding Early Career Alumni
The Advancement Directorate will collate the nominations and provide each College Dean with the names of the nominees, the degree/s conferred by JCU and the basis on which they are nominated. Deans will convene a selection panel to consider nominations for their College. The panel may choose to consider additional College alumni. The panel may ask the Advancement Directorate to source further details on nominated alumni to assist with the selection process.
Each College will select up to two College recipients in the Outstanding Alumni Category and up to one College recipient in the Early Career Alumni Category. Deans will seek the Vice Chancellor's advice on their proposed recipients prior to finalising the selection process. After consultation with the Vice-Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor's office will contact the relevant Outstanding Alumni and Early Career Alumni recipients to informally advise them of their selection and provide details of the award ceremony at which their award will be announced and presented. Recipients will be asked to keep the details of their confidential until publicly announced.
Chancellor's Outstanding Alumnus Award
Deans will provide details of the College recipients in the Outstanding Alumni category to the Advancement Directorate who will advise the Chancellor in a timely fashion. The Advancement Directorate will forward to the Chancellor the names of each College recipient, a brief career outline for each College recipient and a synopsis of each College's rationale for its decision.
The Chancellor will select the recipient of the Chancellor's Outstanding Alumni Award and advise the Advancement Directorate and Vice-Chancellor of his decision. The Chancellor may be assisted in his deliberations by the Deputy Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
The recipients of the James Cook University Outstanding Alumni Awards will be announced at a function hosted by the Vice-Chancellor in Townsville later in the year. The public announcement of award recipients will be coordinated by the Media and Communications Unit and will be posted on the Alumni website.