You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Statement on the Use of Corporate Identifiers
This statement and appendices supersede the University Armorial Bearings – Use – Policy approved by Council 9/86 on 2.10.86.
To ensure the appropriate use of the University’s Armorial Bearings, Crest and Logo, Initials, Seal and other identifiers.
James Cook University, a statutory body corporate is the sole legal and beneficial owner of the “James Cook University” name, Armorial Bearings and logo.
James Cook University’s Corporate Identifiers play an integral role in raising and reinforcing the University’s profile in the international, national and regional communities.
The use of the Corporate Identifiers is underpinned by the University’s goal of consolidating its position, as stated in the Priority Objective relating to Reputation.
1.1 James Cook University, as a statutory body corporate, has several unique identifiers. Illustrations of these identifiers are contained in Appendix 1.
2. Armorial Bearings
2.1 The University’s Armorial Bearings granted by the College of Arms, London by Letters Patent dated 26 June 1972 represents the University’s official insignia.
2.2 The Armorial Bearings are comprised of component parts that include the Shield (or Coat) of Arms, the crest, the mantling, supporters and compartment. The Letters Patent also includes the grant of a Badge to the University.
2.3 The use of the full achievement of the University Armorial Bearings and the component parts for all prescribed official purposes must be considered and recommended by the Ceremonial and Honorary Degrees Committee and approved by Council.
2.4 The use of the various components of the Armorial Bearings for memorabilia purposes requires the approval of the Ceremonial and Honorary Degrees Committee on the recommendation of the Memorabilia Management Committee.
3. JCU Crest
3.1 The JCU Crest consisting of the crest, shield and motto is used both individually and as part of the Logo on stationery, forms, non-award certificates, clothing and official publications as set out in the Corporate Style Manual.
3.2 The JCU Crest is also used on assets or as otherwise approved by the Vice-Chancellor and University Secretary.
3.3 The use of the JCU Crest for memorabilia purposes requires the approval of the Ceremonial and Honorary Degrees Committee on the recommendation of the Memorabilia Management Committee.
3.4 The use of the JCU Crest in an embroidered format is covered by the Policy for Embroidery of JCU Crest, which can be found in the Corporate Style Manual.
4.1 The University’s Corporate Logo combines the boxed JCU Crest, the letters JCU and the name James Cook University.
4.2 The University’s Corporate Logo is used for marketing and promotional purposes and other administrative purposes as set out in the University’s Corporate Style Manual or as otherwise approved by the Vice-Chancellor and President or the University Secretary.
4.3 The use of the Corporate Logo for memorabilia purposes requires the approval of the Memorabilia Management Committee.
5. University Name and Initials
5.1 The use of the University Name or Initials in the foundation or establishment of a company must be approved by Council.
5.2 The use of the University Name or Initials in the foundation or establishment of an associated entity must be approved by Council.
5.3 The use of the University Name or Initials for memorabilia purposes requires the approval of the Memorabilia Management Committee.
6. Corporate Seal
6.1 The Corporate Seal consists of an embossed representation of the Armorial Bearings encircled by the words “The Seal of the James Cook University”.
6.2 The Corporate Seal is used for official prescribed purposes as approved by Council.
7. Other Identifiers for Prescribed Activities
7.1 The University has been allocated an Australian Business Number (ABN), which is a unique identifier and verification tool for business purposes.
7.2 The University is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and has four separate CRICOS provider numbers that are essential for dealing with course offerings to overseas students.
Date for next review:
|18-1||30/04/2018||Changes made to reflect headline restructure 30/04/2018.|
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect Council approve Policy and Delegations Framework
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture