You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
University Seal Policy
This policy applies to the University Secretary or officer delegated by the University Secretary, Vice-Chancellor and other authorised persons as appointed by the Chancellor to affix the Seal of the University, in accordance with this policy.
Testamur - the official document signed by the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, and the University Secretary as confirmation of the conferral of an Award.
The Seal is used to authenticate documents in the University’s name and is most commonly affixed to Testamurs, deeds, and other documents requiring the Seal as approved by the University Secretary including some contracts and agreements.
Affixing the Seal to a document indicates that the document is formal, or in the case of a deed, creates legally binding relations.
1. Custody and Affixing of Seal
The Seal of the University must remain in the custody of the University Secretary.
The University Secretary is empowered to affix the Seal of the University in accordance with this Policy and the University Seal procedure.
In the absence of the University Secretary the officer duly appointed by the Chancellor to act in that role is empowered to affix the Seal of the University in accordance with this Policy and the University Seal procedure. If no such person is duly appointed, the Vice-Chancellor is empowered to affix the Seal of the University.
The University Secretary from time to time may authorise the affixing of the Seal of the University by an officer, other than those referred to in this Policy, for the sole purpose of certifying a Testamur or replacement Testamur.
2. Recording Use of Seal
The University Secretary will maintain a register of the Seal of the University which will record all uses including the information prescribed in the attached procedure.
3. Misuse of the Seal
Except as permitted by this Policy and the University Seal procedure, no person may affix or attempt or purport to affix the Seal of the University to any document whatsoever.
Unauthorised, attempted or purported use of the Seal of the University or use or purported use of a Seal that is intended to resemble the Seal of the University so as to be likely to deceive, may constitute serious misconduct on the part of any staff or student involved and may be dealt with under the relevant policy, instrument or agreement.
Related policy instruments
University Seal Procedure
Date for next review:
Description of changes
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework. Published 25/06/2015.
Quality, Standards and Policy
Policy reviewed and procedure removed and placed into a separate procedure document. Refer to Council minutes 3/14 10 April 2014 for further details.
Policy Officer – Governance and Corporate Services
Version 1.0 previously referred to as 07-1
Seal, University Seal, affixing the seal
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture