You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Asbestos Management and Control Policy
James Cook University (JCU) is committed to managing and controlling Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) in university controlled assets to ensure staff, students, contractors and visitors are able to undertake their activities within a safe and compliant environment.
This policy applies to all staff, adjuncts, contractors, students and visitors conducting work, study, research, and volunteer work and to JCU owned assets, and where decided assets leased and managed by JCU staff, contractors, students and visitors.
The policy is applicable to physical assets owned or controlled by James Cook University within Australia and includes components within built assets and elements within owned land holdings.
Where reasonable the policy applies to assets that fit within the definition of vehicles i.e. trucks, vessels, cars or any component within this type of asset.
Assets used for temporary purposes under short hire arrangement i.e.motels, camp sites and other temporary lodgings are excluded from this policy.
This policy does not extend to the management or control of naturally occurring asbestiform minerals outside of building products.
For the purpose of this Policy, renewal of an existing lease is not considered to be a new lease.
Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) - is a term used within the industry to describe physical material that contains asbestiform minerals.
Controlled Assets – Controlled Assets refers to assets that are both owned and otherwise used by the University in a formal lease arrangement.
Controlled Entity – Means an entity controlled by JCU as defined in the Controlled and Non-Controlled entities Policy.
ApprovedProgram - a program approved by an authorised delegate.
Competent Person - is a person who has acquired through training, qualifications and experiences the knowledge and skills to carry out the task the person is required to perform under in relation to asbestos. This may include but is not limited to a licensed asbestos removalist, occupational hygienist,asbestos assessor, registered medical professional.
JCU adopts the following principles:
- James Cook University’s management and control of ACM is consistent with Queensland State Legislation and National Codes of Practice.
- James Cook University will maintain thorough and up to date records for its asset portfolio in terms of ACM within Controlled Assets used by the University.
- JCU will maintain records of assets (including real estate, plant and equipment) owned or used by a Controlled Entity.
- The management and control of ACM within controlled assets is to be based on a risk management framework that is focused on protecting the health and safety of staff, students, contractors and visitors.
- An asbestos strategy and management plan will be maintained.
- James Cook University will adopt an ongoing risk management based approach to managing ACM within controlled assets in terms of monitoring, working and removing material suspected or identified as having ACM.
- James Cook University shall not purchase or lease assets with ACM.
- James Cook University prefers to remove asbestos containing materials as part of any refurbishment.
- The University will consult and communicate with the University Community including representative bodies of students and staff on ACM management.
- If a significant exposure to asbestos has occurred, and a competent person has deemed that health surveillance is required, the JCU Health Safety & Environment Unit will coordinate the health surveillance.
- The Director of the Estate Directorate will report on the University’s Management of Asbestos at the end of each calendar year.
- JCU requires that Controlled Entities:
- Adopt a policy on asbestos management and control in terms consistent with this policy.
- Provide JCU all information & assistance to ensure that JCU meets its obligations under this policy and at law.
Related policy instruments
Related documents and legislation
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Health, Safety and Environment Committee
Date for next review
[Approval date - the date the approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment]
[Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect]
Reviewed and title changed (previously titled: Asbestos Policy). Refer to Item 7 Health, Safety & Environment Committee (4/15) minutes 13/11/2015
Health, Safety & Environment Unit
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework.
Quality Standards and Policy Unit
New policy endorsed by the Vice-Chancellor and approved by Council
[list several relevant key words which may be used to search for and locate the policy in the Policy Library]
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture