You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Adjunct Appointments and Vice Chancellor's Fellow Policy
Adjunct appointments provide a mechanism for recognising in a formal way suitably qualified and experienced individuals who have a close association with, and make a significant contribution to, the academic activities of the University in a largely honorary capacity on an ongoing basis. This includes recent JCU research higher degree graduates who need access to JCU resources to publish their research.
This Policy applies to all Adjunct appointees including Professional/Clinical, Academic and Research Fellows and Vice Chancellor's Fellows.
Adjunct appointments recognise associations between individuals with particular expertise and the relevant College; Directorate or Centre within the University.
The University has extensive links with professionals in a number of discipline areas who provide valuable input into the development and delivery of the professional programs offered by the University. This input ensures that the professional programs remain relevant to current professional practice and also enriches the learning experience of students by exposing them to practising professionals. This also contributes significantly to the growth of professional identity by the students and the development of professional networks.
This policy does not deal with conjoint or joint appointments as University policy has not yet been formulated to cover these arrangements.
Recognising that appointees may be drawn from a variety of backgrounds, two categories of Adjunct appointment are available - academic and professional/clinical.
In the case of Academic Adjunct appointments, the criteria for determining the designation shall be the Academic or Research Fellow Position Classification Standards as outlined in the Adjunct Appointments Procedure.
Academic Adjunct appointments will be identified as follows:
- Adjunct Professor
- Adjunct Associate Professor
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer
- Adjunct Lecturer
- Adjunct Research Fellow
- Adjunct Research Associate
- Adjunct Professorial Research Fellow
- Adjunct Senior Principal Research Fellow
- Adjunct Principal Research Fellow
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow
Professional/Clinical Adjunct appointments will be identified as follows:
- Adjunct Professor (Professional)
- Adjunct Associate Professor (Professional)
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer (Professional)
- Adjunct Lecturer (Professional)
With respect to the designation of Adjunct Research Associate, the appointee must be a recent JCU Higher Degree by Research graduate who will continue to make a significant contribution to the research activities of the University.
The criteria for determining the classification for Adjunct appointments is outlined in the Adjunct Appointments Procedure.
Vice Chancellor's Fellow
The criteria and process for appointing a Vice Chancellor's Fellow is outlined in the Vice Chancellor's Fellow Procedure.
2. Scope of Activities
Appointees will be expected to contribute on a significant, regular and ongoing basis to one or more of the following University activities:
- Collaborative research;
- Postgraduate supervision;
- Strategic engagement and thought leadership; and
- Staff and student consultations.
3. Intellectual Property
Research and consulting activities carried out under the auspices of the University will generally be governed by the same rules that apply to full-time academic staff. Ownership of intellectual property will be negotiated on a case by case basis, with consideration given to the University's Intellectual Property Policy.
4. Access to Facilities
While appointment confers no obligation on the University to provide resources, appointees may be granted access to University and service facilities as deemed appropriate by the relevant supervisor.
Adjunct appointees and Vice Chancellor's Fellows are not eligible to vote in any University election and shall not be members of any academic group or operational group unless a special resolution is approved by the particular Division on the recommendation of the appropriate Deputy Vice Chancellor or, in the case of the Vice Chancellor's Fellow, approved by the Vice Chancellor..
Appointees who by virtue of their association with the University are successful in gaining research funding shall be required to direct such funds through the University.
Adjunct titles shall not be used outside of University related business viz appointees should not use a University title in their normal professional capacity but limit their usage to involvement in University activities.
While Adjunct and Vice Chancellor's Fellow appointments are largely honorary, remuneration at appropriate rates may be payable for part-time teaching or postgraduate supervision (subject to this being formalised through an appointment agreement or other appointment). Additionally, appointees may be appropriately remunerated from funds generated by research or consulting activities.
In the event of an Adjunct appointee gaining regular salaried employment with the University, the level of the Adjunct appointment shall not be a factor in determining either the salary or the level of the regular appointment and the Adjunct appointment will automatically come to an end.
Related policy instruments
Related documents and legislation
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Human Resources Committee
Date for next Major Review
|19-1||22/08/2019||HR Committee||19/09/2019||Amended to establish new honorary appointment - Vice Chancellor's Fellow||Chief of Staff|
Minor editorial amendments
Deputy Director, Human Resources
Major Review (refer Human Resources Committee minutes (1/17) 14 March for details)
Director, Human Resources
Policy sponsor and Approval authority amended in accordance with the approved Policy and Delegations Framework
Quality, Standards and Policy Office
Changes to broaden scope and include JCU research higher degree graduates.
Addition of Adjunct Research Associate
Changes to Section 7 and 8
honorary appointment, adjunct, fellow, engagement
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture