You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Staff Study Assistance Policy
The Staff Study Assistance Policy is designed to encourage personal and professional development of staff and to benefit James Cook University (JCU) as a whole.
This policy applies to continuing and fixed-term staff members appointed for 12 months or more at JCU Australia. It does not apply to casual staff or short-term academic visitors.
JCU is committed to encouraging eligible staff to undertake tertiary study by providing assistance to complete a formal undergraduate qualification at JCU.
- Study Assistance approval is immediately void where the staff member ceases employment.
- Where a staff member commences a new role impacting the Study Assistance approval, the staff members application must be re-assessed in consideration of the new role, which may result in a change of category of study, and/or changes to the Study Assistance approved, or cessation of the Study Assistance.
- Study Assistance granted to staff members who are less than full time will be provided on a prorata basis, calculated according to the proportion of full time hours they work.
- Study must be completed, and any reimbursement made, prior to the end of the staff member’s employment.
- Staff Study Assistance will be approved on an annual basis. To be eligible for study assistance to continue, the staff must undertake at least 1 subject per calendar year. Where a staff member is on extended leave (six months or more) there will be no requirement to study during the period of the leave; however, study must resume within a 12 month period following the leave.
- Staff Study Assistance is to support undergraduate study undertaken at JCU only.
- Any tax incurred as a result of participation in Study Assistance will be the responsibility of the staff member. The staff member should seek their own tax / financial advice.
2. Eligibility to Apply
- Applicants will:
- be employed on a continuing basis; or
- be employed on a fixed term basis greater than 12 months duration
- The application is for future study in an undergraduate bachelor level program undertaken at JCU.
- The application must be submitted at least one month prior to the commencement of the relevant study period. Retrospective approval will not be granted.
Related policy instruments
Related policy instruments include but are not limited to the following documents.
Further related instruments can be found at the JCU Human Resources website.
Related documents and legislation
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Human Resources Committee
Date for next review
Provision of assistance under the policy amended to undergraduate study undertaken at JCU only.
Deputy Director, Human Resources
Refer HR Committee minutes 4/15 Item 7 for details.
Deputy Director, Human Resources
Study Assistance, Staff Study, Development, Staff Development
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture