You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Framework for Postgraduate Courses Policy
To specify the framework for postgraduate courses at James Cook University.
All postgraduate courses.
Policy and Procedures
James Cook University offers graduate-level courses in the following categories:
Graduate level coursework courses
The graduate level coursework qualifications are themselves offered in the following categories:
Graduate courses - expect graduate-level generic skills, and are available to students with a degree, or equivalent professional experience, including students with prior training or experience in a field other than that of the course. Such courses typically develop knowledge and skills in a professional area new to the student, and may supplement first degree minor studies.
Postgraduate courses - expect graduate-level knowledge and skills in a specified field of study, and are generally available only to students with a degree in the field of the course or a cognate discipline. They broaden and develop knowledge and skills already gained in a cognate undergraduate program, and may develop vocational knowledge and skills in an associated professional area.
Transfer between categories of postgraduate coursework
Students who undertake a diploma course after completing an appropriate certificate at JCU may apply to have the credit points credited to the diploma, subject to the approval of the relevant Deputy Vice Chancellor.
Students who undertake a coursework Masters degree after completing an appropriate certificate or diploma course at JCU may apply to have the credit points credited to the degree, subject to the approval of the relevant Deputy Vice Chancellor.
Students are not permitted to enrol concurrently for any other degree, diploma or certificate at this or any other institution without the written permission of the Higher Degrees by Research Sub Committee. Concurrent enrolments will normally only be considered where the total enrolment does not exceed the equivalent of a full-time load.
Examination procedures for coursework offerings, including dissertations, shall be determined by the Academic Board and administered by the relevant Division.
The examination of all Masters degrees by research, PhD degrees and professional doctorates shall be administered through the Graduate Research School under the following standard procedures:
Rules relating to transfer from a research degree to a coursework degree and vice versa
Students who are enrolled in a research degree and who wish to transfer to a postgraduate coursework diploma or degree should expect to pay fees from the date of transfer. Students who wish to transfer from a graduate coursework program to a research degree will be subject to the quota restrictions for research students at this University.
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic
Date for next Major Review:
NOTE: A minor amendment will not result in a change of the next major review date.
Approval date - the date the approval authority approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the policy was published in the Policy Library and is the date the policy takes effect
Minor amendments to align with current organisation structure and current delegation practice
Quality, Standards and Policy Officer
There are no related procedures.
There are no other related documents.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture