Vehicle Section Internal Procedure 31
To ensure the required volume of fuel is maintained and available for emergency purposes, during the Cyclone Season and to ensure safe and efficient operation and environmental compliance of the diesel tank for Cairns Campus.
This procedure applies to all University staff refuelling from the Estate Directorate bulk diesel facility at Cairns Campus.
- Safe Fill Level of each tank is 1850 litres Maximum; and
- During cyclone season (1st November to 30th April) each tank is to be filled to their safe fill level and must be refilled after the generators have been run.
2. Issue of Fuel
- The bulk diesel facility is primarily used for all grounds equipment refuelling (this will maintain the continual rotation of the bulk diesel fuel to eliminate any algae growth).
- Refuelling steps are as follows:
- Unlock the access hatch
- Connect the 12v fuel pump to the battery
- Fill the vehicle tank
- Dip the tank and record the fuel level
- Lock the access hatch
- Clean up any spillage of fuel using the kit provided
- Report any equipment faults or damage, or fuel spills, to the Maintenance Supervisor or Manager Cairns Operations
3. Spillage Procedures
- If a spill occurs during dispensing of fuel refer to the spill response kit instructions which are located inside the door of the refill facility;
- Following these instructions, use the products provided in the spill response kit (yellow wheeled bin) to absorb the liquid;
- All used materials are to be bagged and taken to the mechanical workshop for disposal in the regulated waste disposal service;
- Report the spill and action taken to the Maintenance Supervisor or Manager Cairns Operations, Estate Office;
- The Maintenance Supervisor is to ensure that any products used from the spill response kit are replenished;
- A copy of the collection docket for the regulated waste from the spill is to be forwarded to the environmental Maintenance Supervisor, Estate Office;
- Any leaking or fault to the equipment or tank be observed, report this to the Maintenance Supervisor promptly.
4.1 The Maintenance supervisor is to allocate an individual to:
- Take a dip reading Fortnightly (the first Monday of the fortnight) and after every bulk truck refuel, record on the log sheet and check the overfill and safety barrier for correct operation;
- Advise the Cairns Operations Manager of the quantity of fuel to be ordered when required; and
- Add fuel additives to the tank and check the tank cavity on a 6 monthly basis.
Related documents and legislation
James Cook University Critical Incident Policy
NOTE: Printed copies of this procedure are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Date for next Major Review
NOTE: A minor amendment will not result in a change of the next major review date.
Approval date - the date the Policy Sponsor approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the procedure was published in the Policy Library and is the date the procedure takes effect
Manager Cairns Operations