You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Policy Course Performance Reports Procedures
Course Performance Reports Procedures
These procedures provide the details for the completion of annual Course Performance Reports . Key findings from the Course Performance Reports will be utilised by Divisions and Colleges in reviewing and planning changes to academic programs and to inform the development of Academic Division and College plans.
These procedures and the associated policy apply to all Course Coordinators, College Deans, Associate Deans Learning and Teaching, Directors of Academic Quality and Strategy and other staff with designated responsibilities for the preparation and approval of the reports required by the policy.
Course:an approved Higher Education Award of the University as defined in the Policy Glossary
Course Performance Report (CPR): An annual report completed by the Course Coordinators for designated undergraduate and postgraduate courses as listed within the Course Performance Report template.
Division Academic Performance Reports (DAPR): Annual reports completed by the relevant Deputy Vice Chancellor identifying key strengths, weaknesses and priorities for the following year as identified from the Division’s suite of Course Performance Reports.
1. Course Performance Report Preparation and Approval
1.1 The courses that require a Course Performance Report will be determined annually by each Director of Academic Quality and Strategy, the Office of Learning, Teaching & Student Engagement and the Office of International. The clustering of some courses for reporting purposes may be approved by the Directors of Academic Quality and Strategy.
1.2 A Course Performance Report is to be completed annually by the Course Coordinator for each course listed in the Course Performance Report template. The report will contain key course performance data, current for the previous year, as provided by the Quality, Planning and Analytics Directorate via the Cognos reporting service. The data for reports can be found at JCU Course Performance Report Live - IBM Cognos Viewer
1.3 The Course Coordinator should consult with all staff who have taught into the course so that the report is a comprehensive assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the course. First Year Coordinators should be included where relevant in these discussions.
1.4 A Course Performance Report template is provided each year. The template sets out the core information required.
1.5 Completed Course Performance Reports require sign off by the responsible Course Coordinator in consultation with the Associate Dean of Learning and Teaching (ADLT) and College Dean or nominated Academic Head before forwarding to the respective Director of Academic Quality and Strategy for final submission to Quality Planning and Analytics with an overarching executive summary from each Division.
2. Follow-up Reporting on the Course Performance Reports
2.1 Analysis and follow-up of consolidated data sets will be undertaken by the Divisions, Quality, Planning and Analytics and other key stakeholders (e.g. the office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor Students, the Office of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement) as appropriate.
2.2 A detailed analysis at the Division level will be undertaken in the form of Divisional Academic Program Reports. These will subsequently be reported to Education Committee.
2.3 The process for consideration by key University level committees of Course Performance Reports analyses and action plans will be determined on an annual basis with a view to informing university wide strategies for course enhancement.
2.4 Course Performance Reports will be placed on the Quality, Planning and Analytics website for reference by the relevant committees as required.
2.5 It is expected that the relevant staff and committees at the College and Academic Division level will take an active role in the review of the Course Performance Reports and associated reports on findings. Overseeing the development and implementation of the strategies or actions identified in the Course Performance Reports is a key quality assurance and enhancement role for these staff and committees. Key strategies should be captured in the Academic Division and College planning processes.
2.6 Completed Course Performance Reports will contribute to periodic Comprehensive Academic Course Reviews.
3. Roles and Responsibilities
Associate Deans Learning and Teaching
Directors Academic Quality and Strategy
Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement Directorate
Division academic management team (Course Coordinators, ADLTs, Deans, DAQS)
Quality, Planning and Analytics
4. Available data
The data to be analysed by the Course Coordinator for the Course Performance Report is contained within the Cognos reports provided by Quality, Planning and Analytics. Data will be provided for the last five years to enable longitudinal analysis.
The Cognos report includes a number of primary and secondary ‘traffic lights’ for a proportion of the data sets to assist Course Coordinators to more easily analyse the data.
Data provided is as follows:
Details of the course, course information
Course Performance Report Data
Course Demand and Viability
First Pass Academic Course Review Assessment
Related documents and legislation
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor Students and Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Date for next Major Review
Amended procedure to remove references to dates and added First Pass Academic Course Review Assessment to list of Cognos data to be provided to Course Coordinators.
Quality Planning Analytics
Updates to annual reporting requirements
Quality, Standards and Policy
Updates to annual reporting requirements
Quality, Standards and Policy
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture