You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Policy Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries, Grants and Prizes Procedure
Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries, Grants and Prizes Procedure
This procedure provides the process for the establishment and administration of James Cook University coursework scholarships, bursaries, grants and prizes.
This procedure applies to all JCU scholarships, bursaries, grants and prizes, other than scholarships for Higher Degree by Research students.
The definitions used in this policy are found in the: Glossary of Terms for Policies in the Student and Teaching & Course Management chapters of the Policy Library
1.1 An establishment form for each scholarship; bursary, grant or prize will be completed and submitted to the scholarships office by the Engagement office and endorsed by the following staff prior to approval of the award:
- Scholarships Advisor, Scholarships Office;
- Manager, Student Finance and Examinations;
- Dean or Director of the Owning Unit; and
1.2 This establishment form will include all necessary information to determine the scholarship, bursary, grant or prize rules, including the eligibility and selection process, administration, and funding associated with the scholarship, bursary, grant or prize.
2. Approval and Management:
2.1 Once the establishment form is fully completed and endorsed, it will be sent to the Chair of Academic Board for final approval.
2.2 The final approval will be sent back to the scholarships office.
2.3 Once received the scholarships office will activate and maintain the ongoing management of the scholarship, bursary, grant or prize.
3. Selection Process:
3.1 The Owning Unit will be responsible for coordinating the selection of recipients.
3.2 A Selection Committee will be convened by the Owning Unit to determine the successful list of applicant(s) to be offered a scholarship, bursary, grant or prize. The Selection Committee will comprise the members identified in the scholarship, bursary, grant or prize rules. The Selection Committee shall determine the methodology for ranking applications.
3.3 A student will not receive a scholarship, bursary, grant or prize unless the University is satisfied that the student meets or, by the first census date of the scholarship period, will meet the eligibility criteria as set out in the scholarship, bursary, grant or prize requirements.
4.1 For graduating students awarded prizes they will be presented at their nominated graduation ceremony.
4.2 For all other prize recipients, they will be presented at an annual prize ceremony which the student and donors will receive an invitation to.
5.1 Students wishing to lodge an appeal against any decision made pursuant to this policy may do so under the Student Complaint Management Policy and Procedures
6.1 The Scholarships Office will report to Academic Board annually on the overall performance of the Scholarship and Prizes Program.
Related policy instruments
NOTE: Printed copies of this procedure are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic
Date for next Major Review
Procedural aspects of the policy split into procedural document. Removed definitions and referred to glossary. Addition of prizes into this policy as aligned with scholarships, bursaries and grants.
Manager, Student Finance & Examinations.
Scholarships, bursaries, grants, prizes
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture