You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Policy Review of Final Subject Result Procedure
Review of Final Subject Result Procedure
This procedure specifies the process relating to a students’ right of review of a final subject result. This process must be undertaken before a formal Appeal of Final Subject Result can be considered.
This procedure applies to final subject results only for all undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students and subjects.
The terms Deferred Examination and Special Consideration have the meanings given to those terms in the Special Consideration, Supplementary, Deferred and Special Examinations Policy.
Legitimate Grounds for Review:
A student may apply for a review of a final subject result where:
A. a subject outline was not provided or complied with in accordance with the Subject Outlines Policy;
B. a student is of the view that a clerical error has occurred in the determination of the final subject result;
C. due regard has not been paid to the evidence of Extenuating Circumstances (as previously provided to the University, as part of an application for Special Consideration or Deferred Examination.)
1. Request for Review – Subject Coordinator
1.1. Prior to requesting a review of the final result for a subject the student must have checked the stated assessment information in the Subject Outline.
1.2. To request a review the student must email the Subject Coordinator to seek feedback about their performance in all assessment within the subject.
1.3. To meet timelines the request for review should be submitted via JCU student email as soon as possible, but within 20 University working days of the publication of final results.
1.4. The Subject Coordinator must respond to both the student and their Academic Head within 5 University working days of receiving the request for review. The matter may be resolved at this level.
2. Review – Academic Head
2.1. If unresolved at clause 1, the student will, within 5 University working days of the Subject Coordinators notification, provide a written statement with supporting documentation detailing one or more Legitimate Ground/s for review. This documentation shall be submitted via student email with the subject line “Request for Review - <Subject Code>” to the relevant Academic Head for review.
2.2. The Academic Head will review the information provided and determine whether to uphold the original result or to amend the result.
2.3. The Academic Head will provide a written decision, including reasons for the decision, and information regarding the student’s rights to further appeal, to the student, and to the relevant College or Divisional office for record keeping purposes, within 5 university working days.
3. Amended Results and Record Keeping
3.1. At any point during the review process where a decision maker identifies that a subject result should be amended, the Subject Coordinator or Academic Head will be responsible for ensuring that the amendment is actioned via the appropriate amended results processes.
3.2. Record keeping will be managed as per the Student Appeal Policy
4. Right to Appeal
If, after receiving a review decision under clause 2 of this procedure, a student believes they have legitimate grounds for appeal they may initiate this under the terms of the Student Appeal Policy and the Appeal of Final Subject Result Procedure.
Related policy instruments
NOTE: Printed copies of this procedure are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Date for next Major Review
Director Student Services
Director Student Services
Final Subject Result, Grade, Review, Assessment,
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture