You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Elite Athlete Friendly University Policy
To provide necessary support and flexibility for formally identified Elite Athlete students in accordance with Appendix A: JCU Submission to National Network of Elite Athlete Friendly Universities (NNEAFU) and Appendix B: Guiding Principles as outlined in the University’s agreement with the NNEAFU, in order to ensure that these students can more readily and more successfully combine their academic and sporting aspirations while studying at our University.
For athletes to access the support identified within the Appendices of the JCU/NNEAFU Agreement, they must be identified and recognized, or be a member of one of the following organisations as an elite athlete or coach:
Australian Institute of Sport
State Institutes or Academies of Sport
AFL Players’ Association
Australian Cricketers’ Association
Rugby Union Players’ Association
Rugby League Professionals’ Association
Australian Professional Footballers’ Association
National squad members from Australian Sports Commission funded sports
Senior/Head coaches from state and territory institutes/academies of sport, national teams from Australian Sports Commission funded sports
Elite Athletes whose sporting commitments are not recognized by one of the above organization and entities may submit an application to the Nominated NNEAFU JCU Staff Contact for consideration of merit-based inclusion.
Please note: the NNEAFU agreement extends to the Cairns and Townsville Campuses only
Nominated Staff Contact
A nominee of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University Services has been appointed to advocate for elite athletes supported under the NNEAFU Agreement and will liaise with various members of University staff to help implement a range of support services to support these students.
In support of the NNEAFU Agreement, Faculties/Schools will:
Liaise with the NNEAFU staff contact (identified above) to hold pre-enrolment interviews with formally identified prospective student Sport Scholars to provide advice and guidance on academic planning and course selections as well as any cross institutional study or credit transfer.
Encourage student participation in the Teaching and Learning Mentoring Program.
Assist the nominated NNEAFU staff contact with monitoring of student progress including advocating for student athletes within the University environment at all levels.
Negotiate flexibility to meet academic requirements
Assessment related flexibility requirements
In line with the Learning, Teaching and Assessment Policy (particularly CP3, 5 & 7) and where practicable and within constraints for academic accreditation requirements, the following options should be considered, however are exclusive of guarantee:
Flexible assessment deadlines based on sporting related travel commitments
Ability to sit exams externally under exam conditions, within the athlete’s environment
Flexible attendance levels for student athletes at lectures and tutorials as a result of attendance at major sporting competitions and training
To ensure that lecture materials are made available to the students and that tutorial requirements are relaxed in accordance with the guiding principles.
Enrolment related flexibility requirements:
Flexibility with tutorial and practical timetables to accommodate their sporting commitments.
Extensions of the maximum time required to complete subjects/courses due to reduced study loads.
Flexible leave of absence including extensions in time allowed for subject completion, due to selection for major sporting competitions such as the Olympic Games.
Aspects of cross-institutional enrolment study options and requirements, including extensions of enrolment and/or subjects that students can complete by cross-institutional study.
Intensive (block mode) study alternatives.
Course related needs
Elite Athlete Students will be given access to materials (where possible) for classes, lectures, tutorials or practicals that may have been missed due to elite sporting commitments.
Related documents, legislation or JCU Statutes
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic
Date for next review:
31st August 2017
Description of changes
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework
Australian Institute of Sport recommended minor amendments to eligibility guidelines to provide further clarity – amendments approved by Policy Sponsor.
Policy Sponsor role amended from DVC University Services to DVC Academic to reflect organsiation re-structure
Policy ratified by Council (refer to Council minutes 3/13). ‘Interim’ removed from the policy.
25th July 2012
1st August 2012
Endorsed by VCAC
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture