Austax has been providing the North Queensland community with expert financial advice for 30 years and has grown into one of Townsville’s leading practices. At the Fit For Life Financial Services Centre, our staff value building client relationships and trust so we can provide a high and personalised standard of service. Our offering is truly unique with a financial planning, accounting and mortgage broking incorporate all within the one location.
Austax are providing scholarships to support the development of aspiring accounting graduates who will assist us in reaching our business goals and objectives. To be considered for this scholarship the student we are looking for is vibrant, approachable and has a strong work ethic and willingness to learn. In return, Austax will offer a challenging and rewarding environment with further understanding into your chosen career.
This scholarship is subject to the provisions of James Cook University’s Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants Policy.
Value and payment of the scholarship
The value of the scholarship will be $4,000 and (paid) work experience with Austax Accounting
Scholarship payment will be made in 2 instalments. The 1stinstalment of $2,000 will be paid on awarding of the scholarship. The 2nd instalment of $2,000 will be paid on commencement of work experience.
One new scholarship will be awarded for 2019, 2020 and 2021
The Austax Accounting Scholarship will be open to competition among candidates who:
- Are domestic students, i.e. Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens and holders of a permanent visa; and
- Are enrolled at the JCU Townsville, Bebegu Yumba campus, Douglas in the Bachelor of Business – Accounting Major
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 36 credit points toward their course; and
- Are enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit points; and
- Have a minimum course GPA of 5; and
- Have not previously been awarded the Austax Accounting Scholarship
The Selection Criteria are:
- The character of the candidate for the award; and
- Academic standing – 20 % weighting; and
- Content of the written statement (total 60% weighting):
- Why did you decide to study Accounting and what are your career goals once you have successfully completed your degree (20% weighting)
- Why are you applying for this scholarship and work experience program? (20% weighting)
- Describe your experience working in a fast paced environment, providing an example on how you handled pressure (20% weighting)
- Reference (10% weighting)
- A curriculum vitae (10% weighting)
- Any other criteria that the Selection Committee deems appropriate.
Applications must be submitted on the official online application form and be received no later than the advertised close date. Applicants must submit with the official form:
- A written statement of no more than 600 words outlining:
- Why did you decided to study Accounting and what are your career goals once you have successfully completed your degree (200 words)
- Why are you applying for this scholarship? (200 words)
- Describe your experience working in a fast paced environment, providing an example on how you handled pressure (200 words)
- A reference from current or previous employer, or other professional attesting to the applicant’s suitability to receive the scholarship;
- their curriculum vitae;
Applications submitted without the relevant documentation will not be considered.
The applicant authorises the Selection Committee to make such enquiries as to the applicant’s good character and suitability to receive the scholarship, which includes authorisation for the Selection Committee to examine the applicant’s academic record, and seek opinions from relevant members of the academic staff of this University or any other academic institution.
The award of the scholarship will be made in the absolute discretion of the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- Associate Dean, Graduate Programs (CBLG) (Chair) or nominee;
- Accounting Lecturer, or nominee
- Austax representative, or nominee
- Any other members as deemed appropriate by the Chair.
The Selection Committee reserves the right:
- not to award a Scholarship in any year if, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no candidate of sufficient merit to warrant an award;
The Selection committee will be responsible for shortlisting and/or interviewing of candidates.
The Selection Committee will determine all matters relating to the selection of the Scholarship awardee.
To receive your 2nd payment
- The recipient must maintain a full time enrolment.
- The recipient must commence work experience.
Conditions of the Scholarship
- If the recipient defers their study, the recipient will no longer be eligible for the award.
- If the holder of an award takes an official leave of absence, the award will be terminated.
- If the holder of the an award fails to meet all the ongoing eligibility requirements, evidence of special circumstances may be provided to the Selection Committee for consideration.
- The Donor will be responsible for all provisions regarding work experience, including remuneration.
- The recipient and the Donor will agree a mutually convenient time for the work experience
- The Donor must advise JCU Scholarship office on commencement of work experience
- A student may lodge a request for review of decision in accordance with the provisions of the Student Appeals Policy.
Administration of the Scholarship
The scholarship shall be administered by the scholarships office, on behalf of the Selection Committee.
The selection committee will be responsible for shortlisting and/or interviewing of candidates;
The donor will be responsible for notifying the scholarships office on recipients commencement of work experience.
The funds of the scholarship shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by Scholarships Office.
Where an award provides some benefit to the recipient from a body external to the University, or an obligation upon a body external to the University, the University, its servants and agents, shall not be liable for that benefit or obligation
Please refer to Glossary of Terms.