Nature of the Scholarship
The value of the bursary shall be $2,000 or such amount as the Selection Committee determine from time to time..
The Roobiny Rural Placement Bursary shall be open to competition among applicants who meet the following criteria:
- an Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia;
- enrolled fulltime at Townsville campus;
- four or final year Veterinary Science undergraduate; and
- have an overall GPA of 4.0 or more.
The Selection Criteria are:
- academic merit or potential;
- the character of the applicant for the award;
- content of the written statement;
- extent of financial hardship; and
- any other criteria that the Selection Committee deems appropriate, including whether the applicant has, or will receive any other scholarship assistance during their studies.
Applications must be submitted on the official application form no later than the date set by the Selection Committee for the year in which the award is to be made.
Applicants must submit with the official form, where appropriate:
- a certified copy of their academic record from any other academic institution;
- written statement explaining:
- the nature of their clinical and/or elective placement in a rural or regional community in North Australia; and
- how the financial assistance will be used to help with their placement.
- no more than three references attesting to the applicant’s good character and/or suitability to receive the bursary;
- evidence of financial hardship, and;
- any other supporting documentation that would assist the Selection Committee in developing an opinion as to the merit of the application.
When applying for a scholarship it is very important that you answer all the questions and include all relevant documents. Your application and relevant documents must be submitted before the closing date. If an application is incomplete, it will not be considered
The applicant authorises the Selection Committee to make such enquiries as to the applicant’s good character and suitability to receive the bursary, which includes authorisation for the Selection Committee to examine the applicant’s academic record, and seek opinions from relevant members of the academic staff of this University or any other academic institution.
The award of the bursary shall be made in the absolute discretion of the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- Head of Veterinary Sciences (Chair), or nominee
- Rural placements program manager (for Veterinary Science), or nominee
- At least one member of the university's academic teaching staff,
The Selection Committee reserves the right:
- not to award a bursary in any year if, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no applicant of sufficient merit to warrant an award;
- to award a bursary for a period of one or more years; and
- to extend a bursary for the existing recipient.
The Selection Committee may require applicants to undertake an interview as part of their application.
The Selection Committee will determine all matters relating to the selection of the bursary awardee.
Monies payable to the recipient of an award shall be paid in 1 instalment after the census date of Study Period 1.
Conditions of the Scholarship
If the recipient defers their study, the recipient will no longer be eligible for the award. Where an award is terminated pursuant to the provisions to this clause it may be awarded to another suitable applicant.
If the holder of an award fails to comply with any of these provisions or any provision relating to a particular award or with any conditions imposed under these provisions or the provisions relating to a particular award, the Council may terminate the award or withhold any further emoluments or take such action as it may deem necessary to enforce compliance with the provision or performance of the condition by the holder.
A student may lodge a request for review of decision in accordance with the provisions of the Student Complaints Policy and Procedures.
The requirements of the bursary shall not make the awarding of the bursary conditional upon the recipient providing unremunerated services or products to the donor.
In the event that the recipient suspends their study, the bursary shall be terminated.
Administration of the Scholarship
The bursary shall be administered by Scholarships Office, on behalf of the Selection Committee.
The funds of the bursary shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by the officer of the University charged with administering the Bursary.
Where there is a fund maintaining the award, the annual value of the award shall be approximately equal to the annual income from the fund.
Income from a fund not expended on the award which it maintains, shall be added to and become part of the fund.
Where an award provides some benefit to the recipient from a body external to the University, or an obligation upon a body external to the University, the University, its servants and agents, shall not be liable for that benefit or obligation.
Please refer to Glossary of Terms