The JCU Townsville Fire Player Scholarship was instigated as part of the naming rights contract between James Cook University and the Townsville Fire basketball team. The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage players to prepare for their post-basketball career.
This scholarship is subject to the provisions of James Cook University’s Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants Policy.
Nature of the Scholarship
The value of the scholarship shall be up to $10,000, awarded annually in one lump sum or split into a number of smaller amounts to all candidate/s from the Townsville Fire WNBL team.
The JCU Townsville Fire Scholarship shall be given to all applicants who:
- are JCU Townsville Fire WNBL team players and
- are enrolled in a course of study at JCU
The Selection Criteria are:
- Letter or nomination from General Manager, JCU Townsville Fire;
- Currently enrolled in a course of study at JCU; and
- Any other criteria that the Selection Committee deems appropriate, including whether the applicant has, or will receive any other scholarship assistance during their studies.
Applications must be submitted on the official application form no later than the date set by the Selection Committee for the year in which the award is to be made.
Applicants must submit with the official form, where appropriate:
A letter of support or nomination from the General Manager, JCU Townsville Fire.
The award of the scholarship shall be made in the absolute discretion of the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- Director, Marketing (Chair), or nominee
- Sponsorship & Project Officer, or nominee; and
- CEO JCU Townsville Fire, or nominee; and
- other members deemed appropriate, as determined by the Chair.
The Selection Committee reserves the right:
- not to award a Scholarship in any year if, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no applicant of sufficient merit to warrant an award;
- to award a Scholarship for a period of one or more years; and
- to extend a Scholarship for the existing recipient.
Monies payable to the recipient shall be paid in 1 instalment after the census date of Study Period 2.
The recipient of the scholarship shall continue to receive the award on condition that in the opinion of the Selection Committee, and on advice from the head of the school in which the recipient is undertaking a course of study, that the recipient maintains a satisfactory level of performance. Where it is determined that the level of academic performance is unsatisfactory the Selection Committee may in its absolute discretion cancel the award or suspend the award for such time as it may determine and/or until academic performance is considered satisfactory. Where an award is cancelled pursuant to the provisions to this clause it may, for the remainder of the term for which the original holder would have been entitled to it, be awarded to another suitable applicant.
The recipient must remain a playing member of the JCU Townsville Fire WNBL team for the duration of the awarded year.
Conditions of the Scholarship
- If the recipient defers their study, the recipient will no longer be eligible for the award. Where an award is terminated pursuant to the provisions to this clause it may be awarded to another suitable applicant or the funds for that calendar year may be forfeited.
- If the holder of an award fails to comply with any of these provisions or any provision relating to a particular award or with any conditions imposed under these provisions or the provisions relating to a particular award, the Council may terminate the award or withhold any further emoluments or take such action as it may deem necessary to enforce compliance with the provision or performance of the condition by the holder.
- A student may lodge a request for review of decision in accordance with the provisions of the Student Complaints Policy and Procedures.
- The requirements of the Scholarship shall not make the awarding of the Scholarship conditional upon the recipient providing unremunerated services or products to the donor.
- In the event that the recipient suspends their study, the scholarship shall be terminated.
Administration of the Scholarship
The scholarship shall be owned by the Sponsorship and Project Officer, External Engagement, on behalf of the University.
The scholarship shall be administered by the Scholarships Unit, on behalf of the Selection Committee.
The funds of the scholarship shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by the officer of the University charged with administering the scholarship.
Where there is a fund maintaining the award, the annual value of the award shall be approximately equal to the annual income from the fund.
Income from a fund not expended on the award which it maintains, shall be added to and become part of the fund.
Where an award provides some benefit to the recipient from a body external to the University, or an obligation upon a body external to the University, the University, its servants and agents, shall not be liable for that benefit or obligation.
Please refer to Glossary of Terms