Change course (undergraduate)

Students Enrolment Change course (undergraduate)

You need to have studied for at least one teaching period to apply for a course transfer. If you are a new undergraduate student and haven't started your studies yet, follow the steps on the new student website. Current students need to follow these three steps:

Steps to apply

Step 1 – Choose your course
Choose your preferred course. If you are not confident you will be accepted into your preferred course, we recommend you list up to three preferences. Go to the courses and degrees website to browse courses.

Step 2 – Meet pre-requisites
Make sure you meet the pre-requisites of your course/s. You can find this information under the Apply now button for your preferred course on the courses and degrees website.

Step 3 – Complete forms
*Note: there are different steps, dependent on the course.

If you are applying to study Medicine/Surgery, Dental Surgery, Physiotherapy, Health Science (Physician Assistant), Veterinary Science, or Nursing/Midwifery click here.

For all other courses
, complete the undergraduate course transfer application and submit it to the Student Centre by the closing date. Make sure you complete the Advanced Standing (credit for previous study) section of this form to see if you are eligible to transfer credit into your new course.

Closing dates

If your application is not received by the closing date, it will not be considered.
Medicine/Surgery, Dental Surgery, Physiotherapy, Health Science (Physician Assistant) or Veterinary Science, Nursing/Midwifery – see below for specific dates.

International applicants
31 August
: Medicine/Surgery and Dental Surgery
30 September: Physiotherapy and Veterinary Science

Domestic applicants
30 September
: Medicine/Surgery, Dental Surgery, Physiotherapy and Veterinary Science
30 November: Health Science (Physician Assistant), Nursing/Midwifery

All other courses:
31 January:
(Study Period 1)
30 June: (Study Period 2)

When you will hear back

We will email your JCU student account within two weeks after the application due date. If you are successful and are issued with an offer, we will inform you by email on how to accept and enrol in your new course.

If you have applied through QTAC, you will need to check your QTAC application online at to find out if you have been made an offer.

Unsuccessful applicants

If your application to change course is unsuccessful, you will be advised by your Divisional Enrolment Team and you will remain enrolled in your current course.

If you don't want to continue your current course, email your withdrawal request and the reason for withdrawing to your Divisional Enrolment Team using your JCU email address. You will also need to withdraw from any future enrolled subjects through eStudent. Do this before the census dates to avoid any financial penalties.

You can leave your options open by applying for a formal leave of absence. Taking a leave of absence means you are taking a break from your studies, but you still remain a JCU student.

More questions?

Go to Ask Us – there are more than 1000 commonly asked questions and answers available 24/7. The top course transfer questions include:

How are course transfer applications assessed?How will I find out if my request for an course transfer has been approved?
If I change courses do I need to fill out a new Commonwealth assistance form?
What happens to my current enrolment if I receive a course transfer?
Can I apply for a course transfer if the program does not offer mid-year intake?

Related links
Course transfer (postgraduate)
Credit for previous study (advanced standing)
Take a break from study (leave of absence)
Withdraw from subjects