Guidelines for avoiding plagiarism
- Future Students
- JCU Student Contract – Terms and Conditions
- Townsville and Cairns medical services
- Student Membership and Representation Opportunities’
- Student Support
- Academic Support
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Travel
- ICT Services
- Ask Us
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
1. Know what your lecturer expects
Check what is written in the Subject Outline.
Check that you understand the various referencing standards used in different study areas, and clarify which ones your lecturer expects you to use for your assignment.
If the assignment is a group project, you may need to identify/demonstrate which elements are your own work and identify and acknowledge the contribution of other group members. If unsure, ask your lecturer.
2. Take care when making notes from books, papers or the web
Make sure you place the quote marks correctly.
Note down all the necessary details of the source for the References or Bibliography section.
3. Use the correct referencing standard
Make sure you use the correct citation or referencing standard that your lecturer has advised for your assignment. The JCU Library’s LibGuide about Referencing includes detailed instructions on using the main standards such as Harvard, Chicago, APA and MLA.
4. Check that you references are complete
Check that you have included a complete reference, using a consistent format, for each source you have cited in the body of your assignment.
5. Check your draft using SafeAssign
You can check your draft assignment for plagiarism provided your subject in LearnJCU includes a Draft SafeAssign Drop Box as well as a Final SafeAssign drop box.
Submit your draft assignment to the Draft SafeAssign Drop Box in your subject’s site in LearnJCU.
Note that there can be a delay in receiving the report, so the sooner you finish your draft and submit it through SafeAssign, the more chance there is that you will get the report back in time to make the necessary revision.
Analyse the SafeAssign report.
Correct anything that has been incorrectly acknowledged before submitting your final assignment in the Final SafeAssign Drop Box.