Current Students The Learning Centre Short Courses and Workshops
Short Courses and Workshops
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
- Enrol online
- New students enrol
- Course Enrolment Planners
- Change course (Variation to Study)
- Return to study (Variation to Study)
- Transfer campus (Variation to Study)
- Withdraw from subjects or your course
- Applying for Credit
- Student Centre and Enrolment Team Contacts
- Enrolment Terminology
- Class Registration
Fees & Financial Support
- Domestic undergraduate subject fees
- Financial support
- Defer your fees
- Pay your fees
- Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA Fee)
- Postgraduate subject fees
- Refunds and withdrawal under special circumstances
- Penalties for unpaid fees and late withdrawals
- Incidental & Administration Fees
- Eligibility Conditions for Commonwealth Assistance
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Assessment and results
- Academic Calendars
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Bookings (Peer Advisor)
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Orientation for Intensive Courses
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Reputation and Experience
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anthropological Laboratory for Tropical Audiovisual Research (ALTAR)
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- JCU Aquaculture Solutions
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- JCU-CSIRO Partnership
- Employability Edge
- Career Ready Plan
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- WHOCC for N&M Education and Research
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Environmental Research Complex [ERC]
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- Research and Innovation Services
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- National Reconciliation Week
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Position yourself for success! The Learning Centre offers a range of short courses and workshops that will assist you with your university studies.
All Learning Centre events are free and open to JCU students from all year levels and courses.
Study Period 2, 2023
This short course is designed to build confidence and competence in students returning to maths or in need of a refresher.
You will be able to work through modules at your own pace with support and guidance from our experienced facilitators, who will be on hand to assist you to work through mathematical concepts.
This course is particularly helpful for students intending to study courses where mathematics and statistics are required.
You can choose to participate in the Maths Refresher either face to face or online.
On Campus: 20th July 9am - 11am AEST
Online: 18th July 5pm - 7pm AEST
Rooms: Townsville 134-010; Cairns B1-020; Online
Download the Maths Refresher Short Course workbooks in PDF format:
Revise basic statistics concepts that will support future learning throughout your degree. You will learn about collecting, organising, analysing and interpreting information.
Online: 19th July 6pm-7pm AEST
Room: click here
If you missed the Basic Statistics Short Course, you can download our Basic Stats self-study resources
Learn effectives techniques to engage with the process of academic writing. This informative and hands-on course is designed to address the skills needed to research and write various academic texts such as essays, reports, and annotated bibliographies.
On Campus: 19th July 2pm-4pm AEST
Online: 20th July 5pm-7pm AEST
Academic Writing Webinar
If you are unable to attend the live Academic Writing Workshop on campus or online, The Learning Centre also provides a series of webinar recordings which are available at the bottom of the page.
Slide notes from the 2023 Learning Centre Academic Writing Lecture Townsville are available for download here.
The example student paper from the 2023 Learning Centre Academic Writing Lecture Townsville is available for download here.
Unpacking the essay question and searching library databases
Learn effective strategies for understanding your essay question and searching library databases. Have a copy of your subject outline and one of your subject readings on hand for this active learning session.
Taking notes and planning for writing
Learn various methods for taking notes, how to structure and organise your first academic assignment.
Integrating evidence, editing and referencing
One of the most important learning and assessment tools at university is the writing of essays. These essays differ from the essays you wrote at school. Firstly, they are written in an academic style, and secondly, the content is often a synthesis of ideas you have collected from a wide variety of readings. Learn how to summarise and paraphrase research and readings and reference accordingly.
For additional academic writing support visit: Essay Writing Basics, Assignment Guides and The Writing Guide.
This online workshop is a repeat of the Keys to Academic Success session run during GetReady4Uni on 18th July 2023. You do not need to attend the online session if you have already attended face to face.
Get ready for the first few weeks of class. This workshop focusses on skills needed for a successful start at university, including active learning strategies and time management. You will also gain some strategies to research more effectively, and we will work with you to demystify referencing.
Online: 27th July 5.30pm - 7pm AEST
Room: click here
Meet some of JCU's mature age students and discuss strategies for successful study, particularly ways to balance your study, family, and work.
On Campus: 20th July 11am - 12pm AEST
Online: 20th July 12pm - 1pm AEST
Rooms: Townsville 018.002B; Cairns B1-020; Online click here
This workshop is designed to introduce or refresh the basic ideas underpinning chemistry including atomic structure, the periodic table, the mole, bonding, and basic reaction equations.
This course is particularly helpful for students doing chemistry but with limited understanding or no prior exposure to chemistry, or those wanting to refresh their knowledge.
You can choose to participate in the Chemistry Refresher either face to face or online.
You will need to use the Chemistry Refresher Booklet in this workshop. You can use the electronic copy below, or if you prefer physical material please print the booklet before joining the workshop.
Slide notes from the 2023 Learning Centre Chemistry Refresher Townsville are available for download here.
Chemistry Refresher - Electronic Booklet (DOCX, 1578 KB)
Chemistry Refresher - Printable Booklet (DOCX, 1562 KB)
On Campus: 20th July 1pm - 2.30pm AEST
Online: 19th July 5pm - 6pm AEST
Learn valuable organisation and study skills to maximise your learning, make the best use of your time and thus achieve better results.
Develop your understanding of writing for academic purposes by learning how to organise and express your ideas. Explore a variety of assessment types to help you succeed at university and beyond. These self-study guides focus on the fundamentals of writing (paragraphing, using evidence, etc.) with reference to discipline specific typical text types / genres.
Writing in the Sciences (PDF, 2210KB)
Access the self-study workshop Making a Start by clicking this link.
For information on other workshops recommended for postgraduate students click here.
Online Webinar Recordings
O Week Testimonials The Learning Centre
JCU students discuss the benefits of attending O-week activities and courses