Staff play a key role in embedding a culture of sustainability at JCU and the success of JCU in achieving its sustainability goals relies on all staff taking responsibility for their actions. To support this, TropEco has created a Sustainable Office Accreditation Program (SOAP) that recognises the efforts of staff to embed sustainable practices in their everyday operations.
Sustainable Office Accreditation Program
The JCU Sustainable Office Accreditation program is designed to empower staff to take responsibility for their sustainability practices in their workplace. The program is an incentive based, voluntary program that celebrates staff efforts, giving teams a bronze, silver, gold or platinum status. The flexible program is designed to be implemented at the Office, College, Research Centre, building or floor level, allowing individuals to work together and empower each other. The program is run annually with each team's accreditation updated yearly.
How does it work?
Points are awarded for different office initiatives and activities and there are four levels of accreditation achievable:
Bronze - 200 - 300 points achieved
Silver - 300 - 450 points achieved
Gold - 450 - 600 points achieved
Platinum - 600+ points achieved
How can you participate?
The 2018 Sustainable Office Accreditation Program will run from 21st August to 27th September, 2018. A SOAP morning tea will be held to launch the 2018 program on 21st August in Cairns and 22nd August in Townsville. For more information about the morning tea check out the Launch Flyer or contact the TropEco team. If you can't make it to the morning tea please contact the TropEco team to arrange a visit to your office so we can get you started.
To participate you need to form a team and appoint at least one Sustainability Champion who will be responsible for coordinating the accreditation process. Once a Sustainability Champion is nominated you can commence the accreditation process. TropEco staff will assist you in implementing initiatives in your area that will contribute to your accreditation.
- Download the SOAP Scorecard to learn about the activities your team can undertake. You don't need to do everything on the scorecard and the program is designed to be flexible so teams can choose what they'd like to do.
- Talk to your colleagues about getting involved. If your whole office, college, research centre or building is on board, you have a much better chance of achieving your goals.
- Nominate a Sustainability Champion for your office. To participate, an office must nominate at least one Sustainability Champion. The Sustainability Champion will be responsible for assessment and reporting back to TropEco for the Sustainable Office Accreditation program as well as disseminating information to their office colleagues related to the program.
- TropEco staff will provide support to Sustainability Champions to undertake their assessment and to implement activities that will help them gain additional points through the program.
- Choose the actions your office is already doing or is going to undertake from the list provided. If you need more information or help to understand any of the actions please ask your Sustainability Champion to contact the TropEco Office.
- Once you have chosen your actions and you believe that the actions have been completed and upheld by the staff members in your team, the team Sustainability Champion can submit the assessment scorecard to TropEco. Scorecards must be submitted by the 27th September 2018.
- Following an office or college’s submission for accreditation the TropEco team will contact you to arrange a time to go through the scorecard together and confirm the points claimed. Once your assessment is completed your team will be awarded a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum rating and a certificate will be presented at the 2018 TropEco Awards on the 23rd October in Cairns or 24th October in Townsville.
2018 SOAP Launch
Check out the SOAP Launch Flyer for more details on how you can get involved in the 2018 SOAP program.
2018 SOAP Scorecard
Download the 2018 SOAP Scorecard now and see where your team can start earning points. You don't need to do everything, but the more you can do the higher your accreditation level.
2017 Accredited Teams
- Financial and Business Services Directorate
- Quality, Planning and Analytics Directorate
- Estate Directorate
- Cairns Library
- Student Life - Cairns
- Cairns E2 Building - Anachronistic Tree Huggers
- Human Resources Directorate
- Tropical Health and Medicine - Divisional Office (Townsville)
- Global Strategy and Engagement - Building 8 Office (Townsville)
- AITHM (Cairns)
- Student Centre (Cairns)
- Student Association (Cairns)
- Marketing (Cairns)
- TropWater (Cairns)
- Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement (Cairns)