You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- JCU Clubs and Societies
- Staff volunteering leave scheme
- Community volunteering opportunities
War On Waste
- ACTS Conference 2016 - student blogs
- Green Impact, Staff Sustainability Challenge
- TropEco Interns
Recycling & Waste at JCU
Biodiversity & Environment
- LiFE Index
- Recycling & Waste at JCU
Leadership and Governance
Awards & Recognition
- Sustainable Office Accreditation
TropEco Sustainable Campuses
TropEco has a variety of initiatives and facilities that provide a sustainable campus for staff, students and guests to enjoy. See below to find out more, including what you can do to be part of our sustainable campus.
Recycling and Waste
JCU is committed to reducing waste to landfill and increasing recycling rates. TropEco assists JCU to implement waste reduction, reuse and recycling programs and to educate and change behaviours with students and staff on waste management.
To learn more about our waste systems and how you can help, visit the JCU Recycling and Waste page.
JCU encourages students and staff to utilise sustainable transport when travelling to and from campus. The TropEco program has implemented several sustainable transport initiatives, including our international award-winning Green Bike Fleet Program and associated Bike Workshops on the Cairns and Townsville campuses.
Biodiversity and Environment
JCU's campuses are and research sites are uniquely bio-diverse, featuring a range of tropical ecosystems including wet tropical rainforest, dry tropical savanna and fringing coral reefs.
The JCU Townsville campus is set in the foothills of Mt Stuart, a bio-diverse, dry tropical savannah region, with localised riparian vine thickets. The area supports abundant native wildlife, with the campus being a haven for many native species. Two major ephemeral creeks traverse the site, Wadda Mooli Creek and Goondaloo Creek, which reflect the Indigenous heritage of the site.
Maintaining and enhancing the natural areas on campus is important to JCU and the Townsville Campus Natural Assets Management Plan has been developed to ensure future development is considerate of the natural areas by minimising harm to native species and ecosystems and protecting and enhancing significant natural areas on campus.
The Townsville campus has installed several Fish Ladders to ensure the uninterrupted passage of native fish to their spawning grounds during the wet season.
The JCU Cairns Campus is located between the two World Heritage sites of the Wet Tropics and the Great Barrier Reef. Established on a disused cane farm, the site is nestled in the foothills of the Macalister Range. Atika Creek runs through the heart of the campus and the re-establishing and remnant riparian rainforest is a major feature of the campus, attracting students and staff from across Australia and Internationally.
Protection and enhancement of local biodiversity and balancing ecosystem protection with appropriate development is an important priority for JCU. A campus arboretum has been established to highlight key native and Indigenous use species and this will be expanded in 2016, with a tree mapping project being undertaken by the Australian Tropical Herbarium in collaboration with TropEco.
JCU is a leader in energy management at its Townsville and Cairns campuses. The award-winning energy management program has resulted in savings to JCU of over $10 million since 2009, with greenhouse gas emissions reductions of over 10,600 tonnes per year. JCU continues to work to ensure its campuses, buildings and sites are energy efficient.
JCU realises the importance of conserving water and is implementing measures to reduce water use. These include:
- Installation of rainwater tanks on new buildings, such as the Boatshed in Cairns and ATSIP in Townsville.
- Education and awareness programs for staff and students.
- Reuse of old cooling tower tanks to store storm and bore water for irrigation.
- Use of bore water and stormwater to irrigate grounds.
- Improved irrigation practices, metering and monitoring.
- Installation of water efficient showers and tap fittings.
- Installation of water efficient fittings and toilets in all new and refurbished buildings.
- Installation of additional sub-metering and connection to the JCU energy management system to identify usage patterns and faults.
- Working with Townsville City Council to minimise irrigation use and comply with water restrictions.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses