- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- This is Uni
- About TropEco
- TropEco Interns
- JCU Clubs and Societies
- Staff volunteering leave scheme
- Community Gardens
- Community volunteering opportunities
- War On Waste
- ACTS Conference 2016 - student blogs
- Green Impact, Staff Sustainability Challenge
- Recycling & Waste at JCU
- Sustainable Transport
- Biodiversity & Environment
- LiFE Index
- Leadership and Governance
- Awards & Recognition
- Sustainable Office Accreditation
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU has implemented the Ecobin system as a coordinated, easy to use and visually appealing way to reduce waste to landfill from our offices.
Every year JCU sends nearly 1,000 tonnes of waste to landfill, with office paper and other recyclables making up a significant proportion of this. The Ecobin system encourages staff to think about their waste and recycle their paper. Over 80% of office waste is made up of paper.
The Cairns Campus has moved entirely to Ecobins in their offices and Townsville is transitioning to the Ecobin system with over 2000 bins already distributed on the campus.
TropEco has a limited supply of these trendy office EcoBins available upon request.
All you need to do is swap your existing rubbish bin and you will receive a waste mini bin and desk side paper recycle bin.
If you would like the Ecobins for your office please contact TropEco.
Who collects my bin?
The red mini waste bin will be collected by cleaning staff at the same frequency as your current desk side bin.
The paper bin needs to be emptied by you, into a paper recycle bin usually located near your communal printer.