Cycling at JCU
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- This is Uni
- About TropEco
- TropEco Interns
- JCU Clubs and Societies
- Staff volunteering leave scheme
- Community Gardens
- Community volunteering opportunities
- War On Waste
- ACTS Conference 2016 - student blogs
- Green Impact, Staff Sustainability Challenge
- Recycling & Waste at JCU
- Sustainable Transport
- Biodiversity & Environment
- LiFE Index
- Leadership and Governance
- Awards & Recognition
- Sustainable Office Accreditation
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU is the perfect place to ride your bike, with good access to both the Townsville and Cairns campuses from most locations. Our campuses have ample bike parking and shower facilities, a wide network of paths and bike lanes, low cost bike mechanic services and a Bicycle Users Group on both campuses to provide support to cyclists.
Students and staff are encouraged to travel by bicycle to the Townsville and Cairns campuses. You can forget the hassle of looking for a car park, get fit, save money, and appreciate the beautiful surroundings of North Queensland.
Planning your route
If you live near the Ross River, there are excellent bike paths that can get you to campus while avoiding traffic. The below routes can help you plan your own route.
Cairns Regional Council has some excellent maps to help you find the best and safest route to campus from wherever you live.
Where can I park my bike?
Designated bike parking racks are located next to most major buildings on the Cairns and Townsville Campuses.
Secure End of Ride facilities
Secure bike parking facilities are available next to the Eddie Koiki Mabo Library, the Medical Precinct (behind the Padua Lecture Theatre) and at The Science Place in Townsville. Swipe card access is required to use this parking, which can be obtained by downloading the form and taking it to the Security office in the Student Mall.
ATSIP staff can also access secure bike parking at the Southern side of the building.
Bike workshop and mechanic services
JCU TropEco provides low cost bike mechanic services on the Townsville and Cairns Campuses for students and staff.
(Please note, the workshops are closed during semester breaks and holidays).
The Townsville bike workshop is located at the Library end of ride facility, at the Eastern end of the library.
Opening hours during Semester 1, 2020 are 10am - 1pm, Monday to Friday.
The Bicycle Workshop at the Cairns campus is currently closed. We hope to have it reopened as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there will be no Green Fleet bicycles available for sale until the workshop reopens.
Because of our tropical environment, riding to JCU can become a sweaty affair. But don’t let this discourage you. JCU has many public showers available to allow you to freshen up.
Green Bike Fleet Program
The Green Bike Fleet program also provides affordable second hand bikes to students, but you will need to be quick as they sell out early each semester.
Halls of Residence bike hire program
TropEco has a Bike Share program at three colleges on the Townsville Campus.
The program provides free day hire to JCU college residents. Bicycles are available for hire from George Roberts Hall and Rotary International for a $20 security deposit. All you need to bring is a helmet.