You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- JCU Clubs and Societies
- Staff volunteering leave scheme
- Community volunteering opportunities
War On Waste
- ACTS Conference 2016 - student blogs
- Green Impact, Staff Sustainability Challenge
- TropEco Interns
Recycling & Waste at JCU
Biodiversity & Environment
- LiFE Index
- Recycling & Waste at JCU
Leadership and Governance
Awards & Recognition
- Sustainable Office Accreditation
Cycling at JCU
JCU is the perfect place to ride your bike, with good access to both the Townsville and Cairns campuses from most locations. Our campuses have ample bike parking and shower facilities, a wide network of paths and bike lanes, low cost bike mechanic services and a Bicycle Users Group on both campuses to provide support to cyclists.
Students and staff are encouraged to travel by bicycle to the Townsville and Cairns campuses. You can forget the hassle of looking for a car park, get fit, save money, and appreciate the beautiful surroundings of North Queensland.
Position Available: Cairns Campus Bike Mechanic
We are looking for a casual bicycle mechanic for our Cairns Campus Bike Workshop. Up to 6 hours work per week available.
How to Apply?
Applications close 5pm, Friday 12 April 2019.
Planning your route
If you live near the Ross River, there are excellent bike paths that can get you to campus while avoiding traffic. The below routes can help you plan your own route.
Cairns Regional Council has some excellent maps to help you find the best and safest route to campus from wherever you live.
Where can I park my bike?
Designated bike parking racks are located next to most major buildings on the Cairns and Townsville Campuses.
Secure End of Ride facilities
Secure bike parking facilities are available next to the Eddie Koiki Mabo Library, the Medical Precinct (behind the Padua Lecture Theatre) and at The Science Place in Townsville. Swipe card access is required to use this parking, which can be obtained by downloading the form and taking it to the Security office in the Student Mall.
ATSIP staff can also access secure bike parking at the Southern side of the building.
Bike workshop and mechanic services
JCU TropEco provides low cost bike mechanic services on the Townsville and Cairns Campuses for students and staff. Check out the JCU Bicycle Workshop website put together by former bike mechanic Santiago Calero that gives an overview of the history and activities conducted by the workshop.
The Townsville bike workshop is located at the Library end of ride facility, at the Eastern end of the library. Drop in and see our resident bike mechanics Issara and Ulrik.
Semester 2, 2019 opening times are:
Monday - 8 - 12
Tuesday - 8 - 10
Wednesday - 8 - 12
Thursday - 9 - 12
Friday 9 - 11
The Cairns bicycle workshop is located behind the Crowther Theatre. Drop in during workshop hours to see our resident mechanic Darcy.
Semester 2, 2019 opening times are:
Thursday - 8am - 2pm
Because of our tropical environment, riding to JCU can become a sweaty affair. But don’t let this discourage you. JCU has many public showers available to allow you to freshen up.
Green Bike Fleet Program
The Green Bike Fleet program also provides affordable second hand bikes to students, but you will need to be quick as they sell out early each semester.
Halls of Residence bike hire program
TropEco has a Bike Share program at three colleges on the Townsville Campus.
The program provides free day hire to JCU college residents. Bicycles are available for hire from George Roberts Hall and Rotary International for a $20 security deposit. All you need to bring is a helmet.
Join the JCU BUG
For those interested in the Cairns JCU BUG check out their facebook page.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture