Green Bike Fleet Program
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- This is Uni
- About TropEco
- TropEco Interns
- JCU Clubs and Societies
- Staff volunteering leave scheme
- Community Gardens
- Community volunteering opportunities
- War On Waste
- ACTS Conference 2016 - student blogs
- Green Impact, Staff Sustainability Challenge
- Recycling & Waste at JCU
- Sustainable Transport
- Biodiversity & Environment
- LiFE Index
- Leadership and Governance
- Awards & Recognition
- Sustainable Office Accreditation
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU's award winning Green Bike Fleet program repairs second hand bikes and sells them at low cost to JCU students. The program provides affordable and convenient transport, saves energy, reduces carbon emissions, improves health, improve resource efficiency and reduce waste. To date the project has refurbished and sold over 400 bikes.
Watch our video below to learn about our Internationally recognised, award winning Green Bike Fleet program.
How do I buy a Green Bike?
Due to the popularity of the program bikes are often in short supply. At the start of each semester a fleet of bikes are sold with first preference given to new International students as the program is an International Office initiative. Students wishing to purchase a green bike should visit the JCU Bike Workshop during opening hours.
Opening hours for JCU's Townsville bicycle workshop during Semester 1, 2020 are 10am - 1pm, Monday to Friday.
The Bicycle Workshop at the Cairns campus is currently closed. We hope to have it reopened as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there will be no Green Fleet bicycles available for sale until the workshop reopens.
How do I donate my bike?
If you would like to donate a bike to the program please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Students wishing to return their Green Bike are eligible for a $20 reimbursement provided the bike is in good working order. For details on how to obtain a reimbursement please contact email@example.com.
The JCU Green Bike Fleet project is a collaboration between James Cook International, TropEco and the Bicycle Users Group and was made possible through the JCU Action for Sustainability Fund.