JCU students can access support to successfully combine their academic aspirations and elite sport ambitions.
JCU has been part of the Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) program since 2013. This program provides support and flexibility for formally identified elite athlete students. Flexible options may include support with academic study loads and assessment deadlines. JCU’s Elite Athlete Program aims to help students achieve success both on the sporting field and in the classroom. From business through to sports and exercise science, students can study a range of courses at JCU.
JCU’s Elite Athlete Program welcomes athletes and coaches from a range of organisations and sports. Students interested in accessing the Elite Athlete Program must be recognised as an elite athlete or coach by one of the following organisations:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players’ Association
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association
- Rugby League Professionals Association
- Australian Professional Footballers’ Association
- National senior squad members from National Athlete Career and Education Network (NACE) supported sports
- Senior/head coaches from state and territory institutes/academies of sport, national senior teams or participating professional sports
The JCU Elite Athlete Program Coordinator is open to discuss the eligibility of athletes and coaches who are not recognised by these organisations but feel they are of an elite status.
Juggling study with training, competition and travel can be difficult for elite athletes. This program is designed to help students ensure they can meet both study and sporting requirements by providing support and flexibility where possible.
Assistance may include:
- Enrolment requirements
- Tutorial and practical class timetabling
- Assessment deadlines based on sporting-related travel commitments
- Cross-institutional enrolment study options
- Recognition of credit achieved at other universities both internationally and interstate, towards study options at JCU
- Sitting exams externally under exam conditions
While the Elite Athlete Program is available to provide assistance in a number of areas, elite athlete students are advised to make contact with the respective subject coordinator/lecturer or administration staff first to discuss subject or enrolment matters before approaching the Elite Athlete Program representatives.
Please contact the Elite Athlete Program Coordinator or representative to register your details.
Athletes, coaches, managers or JCU staff members wanting to know more about the Elite Athlete Program are invited to contact the program’s coordinator or representative.
Dr Glen Deakin
Elite Athlete Program Coordinator
James Cook University, Cairns
Location: A2.022B (Building A2; Room 022B)
Telephone: (07) 4232 1610
Mr Wade Sinclair
Elite Athlete Program
James Cook University, Townsville
Location: DB043.124 (Building DB043; Room 124)
Telephone: (07) 4781 6066