JCU offers a wide variety of volunteering opportunities for students and community members. These include:
- Pre-service teacher volunteering
- Volunteer Note Taker Scheme – Assists students who are unable to take adequate notes due to a permanent or temporary disability, injury, illness or health condition
- Orpheus Island Research Station – Actively seeks volunteers to assist with station duties throughout the year. In return, volunteers receive free accommodation and activities
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory - Seeks volunteers to assist with station duties throughout the year. Volunteers can stay at the observatory in modern facilities free of charge
- Australian Tropical Herbarium - Volunteers assist with routine tasks involved with specimen handling and preparation such as mounting of vascular plant specimens
- Medicine Entry Interviewers - Help interview our future medical students. Academics, clinicians or community members required.
- Veterinary Science volunteers
- Graduations and ceremonies
- Student Mentor program – Matches new undergraduate students with experienced second or third-year students from similar courses or study areas
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL) – Links work and learning to enhance student employability
- Research volunteers – From time to time our researchers need volunteers for studies and surveys
- Open Day – A great way for potential students to discover more about JCU. Volunteer opportunities are available in all areas
- Clubs and societies – The Student Association have over 40 different clubs registered on the Townsville and Cairns campuses. Find one that interests you.
- TropEco Interns - The TropEco Interns Program is for JCU students who want to actively contribute to a sustainable future, and learn and exchange valuable skills and knowledge.
- Staff volunteering leave scheme - JCU staff are entitled to two days paid volunteering leave each year to volunteer for not-for-profit organisations. The program is a great way for staff to give back to the local environment or community and to display good corporate responsibility.
- Environmental volunteering - JCU works closely with a range of organisations to enhance our local environment and social well-being.
- JCU Community Gardens - JCU has community gardens at its Cairns and Townsville campuses, providing opportunities for students, staff and the local community to get involved in and learn about sustainable food production.