You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU expands into Townsville’s CBD
JCU expands into Townsville’s CBD
JCU expands into Townsville’s CBD
James Cook University is expanding its presence in Townsville, celebrating the opening of its innovative, multi-use campus in the heart of the city.
The nearly 1000 square metre Townsville City Campus is a three storey, teaching, engagement and student services centre located in the City Arcade development.
Speaking at today’s launch, JCU’s Vice Chancellor, Professor Sandra Harding said the campus’ opening is a milestone in the growth of the University.
“JCU is proud to be expanding into the heart of the city. We’ve wanted to be in Townsville’s CBD for a long time and we are so excited that we have found such a wonderful location.”
“This campus provides fantastic facilities for learning, teaching and engagement with the broader community, and it will help revitalise Townsville’s CBD,” Professor Harding said.
Townsville’s Mayor, Councillor Jenny Hill officially opened the campus. She said it’s another exciting step forward in the revitalisation of the CBD.
“I congratulate JCU for expanding its services into the inner city, and it will be a great benefit to Council’s aim of having 30,000 people living and working in the CBD by 2030.”
“A vibrant and progressive city provides essential services within its city centre, and having the presence of educational institutions is important for the direction of our CBD,” Cr Hill said.
Professor Harding said the campus would boost JCU’s engagement with community groups and allow it to work more closely with civic leaders.
The campus has been designed so that it delivers a diverse range of facilities and services for JCU and other community organisations.
It includes a Collaborative Learning Area, which features the latest innovative technology to promote flexible learning.
The Dean of the College of Law, Business and Governance, Professor David Low said a range of subjects would be taught at the campus, with disciplines including business and law.
“The campus features the first ‘moot court’ in North Queensland with e-court facilities. This will allow us to provide practical training to our law students in the latest methods for evidence management,” said Professor Low.
“The campus will also host short courses for companies seeking professional development for their staff,” Professor Low said.
The campus includes a boardroom with teleconferencing and catering facilities, allowing the University to engage more directly with business and the local community.
The ground floor features a ‘shop front’ point of contact for enquiries from potential students, their families and friends. Course brochures and other promotional material will also be available. A ‘video wall’ at the shopfront will showcase the University’s world-leading research.
The campus boasts extremely high speed internet. Students will be able to ‘drop in’ to use computers and study in the CBD. Seminars and alumni functions will also be hosted at the campus.
Many of the facilities can be hired out to community groups and other external organisations.
For more information please contact:
Richard Davis, JCU Head of Media and Communications
(07) 4781 4822 / 0413 451 475
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture