You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Estate Directorate
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Wheels in motion at JCU
Wheels in motion at JCU
With ticket sales now open for the 2017 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships, preparations are underway to welcome competitors, media and spectators to James Cook University in Smithfield.
Competitors will be racing on trails through the Smithfield Conservation Park, which borders the James Cook University campus on one side and the Kuranda National Park on the other.
The event, which promises a welcome economic boost to Far North Queensland, could not be staged without use of JCU facilities.
“We’re preparing to welcome mountain bike enthusiasts from around the world to Cairns and to our campus,” James Cook University Vice Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding said.
“This is an important event for Cairns and it’s our pleasure to help make it a great success.
“While we’ll be barracking for JCU business student Tracey Hannah, we’re looking forward to seeing tough competition on the slopes."
Professional downhill rider and part-time business student Tracey Hannah is currently ranked number one in Australia, and third in the world.
“There’s nothing better than competing at home, with that fantastic local support,” Ms Hannah said.
“Although I’ve got plenty of riding and competing to do between now and the World Championships, September in the rainforest in Smithfield is what this year’s all about.”
More than 20,000 spectators are expected to attend, with more than six million viewers around the world expected to tune into the action.
The event will run from 5-10 September, coinciding with the University’s mid-semester lecture recess.
For more information on the UCI 2017 Mountain Bike World Championships:
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture