You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Open Day
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Volunteers wanted to spot stray marine creatures
Volunteers wanted to spot stray marine creatures
James Cook University scientists are recruiting people to train to log sightings of misplaced sea creatures after receiving new funding.
JCU’s Associate Professor Jan Strugnell runs the Queensland arm of the Range Extension Database and Mapping project (REDMAP).
“What it aims to do is reach as many citizen scientists as possible and engage them in logging their photos of ‘out-of-range’ species through the REDMAP app or online interactive website,” she said.
Dr Strugnell said an example of an ‘out-of-range species’ would be a barramundi sighted south of Bundaberg, or a spine-cheek clownfish sighted south of Cairns.
“We want the data to map which Australian marine species may be moving house in response to changes in the marine environment, such as ocean warming,” she said.
The Extending the Success of REDMAP Australia to Queensland project received a Community Reef Protection: Citizen Science Grant through the partnership between the Australian Government’s Reef Trust and the Great Barrier Reef Foundation.
The $100,000 grant will be used to recruit and train citizen scientists.
“Program ambassadors will be trained along the Queensland coast to engage with SCUBA, snorkelling and fishing organisations to help them report on unusual sightings and track key species,” said Dr Strugnell.
She said the program has been hugely successful in the southern states of Australia, with tens of thousands of Australians engaged each week.
“Now we plan on further implementing REDMAP in Queensland in order to gather information about animals that are undergoing range-shifts here on the Great Barrier Reef. More than 3 million boaters, fishers and divers spend time in or on Queensland waters each year and REDMAP hopes to make citizen scientists out of them.”
Volunteers will be trained in how to identify out-of-range species, log sightings, and in how to train and encourage others to participate in REDMAP.
Anyone who is lives in Queensland, is over 18 years of age, and wants to be part of the program should contact Dr Blake Spady (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture