You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU’s world-class research report card
JCU’s world-class research report card
A comprehensive report card of Australian university research quality has rated James Cook University “world class or better” in 38 areas of research – JCU’s best result to date.
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) evaluates the quality of research in each field at every Australian university.
Universities are rated on a scale of one to five for each research field, with a rating of three representing “at world standard”, a rating of four is considered “above world standard”, and a rating of five represents “well above world standard”.
83% of JCU’s research fields (38 of the 46 research fields evaluated) were rated world-class or above, the highest rating the University has received, up from 78% in 2015, the last time the ERA ratings were evaluated.
Of the 38 fields of research in which JCU is rated world class or above, the University received the highest possible rating (“well above world standard”) in 8 research areas:
- Environmental science and management
- Ecological applications
- Plant biology
- Medical microbiology
- Fisheries sciences
- Organic chemistry
The University was found to be “at world standard or above” in another 30 areas including public health and health services, immunology, physical geography and environmental geoscience, and archaeology.
JCU Provost Professor Chris Cocklin said the results confirm the University’s research excellence, particularly in the fields of environmental science and management, ecology, geology, and public health.
“JCU is the only university to receive the top rating for environmental science and management in every ERA evaluation.
“It’s also pleasing to note that, for the first time, every field of research in medical and health sciences at JCU has been rated world-class or above, reflecting the significant investment the University has made in medical and health sciences over the past decade.
“And the University’s Internet of Things program (electrical and electronic engineering) has been rated above world standard in its first assessment – a fantastic result,” Prof. Cocklin said.
The Australian Research Council administers the ERA ratings, which identify excellence across the full spectrum of research activity in Australia’s universities.
The ratings compare research produced in Australian universities against international benchmarks, creating incentives to improve the quality of research and identifying emerging research areas and opportunities for further development.
For more information please contact:
Head of Media and Communications, JCU
0413 451 475
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture