You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Exciting new partnership
Exciting new partnership
Exciting new partnership
James Cook University and the Townsville Fire have announced an exciting new partnership that will boost women’s sport in north Queensland.
Under the agreement, the club will now be known as the JCU Townsville Fire.
JCU Vice Chancellor, Professor Sandra Harding said it’s an exciting announcement for elite women’s sport in northern Australia and expands JCU’s existing support for the club.
“We are thrilled to be a partner of Townsville Fire and we look forward to working closely with the team.”
“This partnership is another example of JCU giving back to the community. We are proud to be supporting women’s sport in our region. At the same time, the partnership will boost JCU’s national exposure,” Professor Harding said.
The chair of JCU Townsville Fire, Jayne Arlett said the club was delighted to unveil JCU as their Principal Partner for the next three seasons.
“The Townsville Fire is one of the nation’s pre-eminent women’s sporting clubs and we are excited to be partnering with JCU for the next three seasons,” Ms Arlett said.
“In recent years, the club has developed a world-class program on the court and we look forward to partnering with JCU to provide a similar environment for our players off the court.
“The Fire takes a holistic approach to our player welfare and an important component of our strategy moving forward will be working with JCU to support their careers during basketball and beyond.”
The JCU Townsville Fire is the only female professional sporting team of any code in Northern Australia.
JCU firmly supports the team’s focus on providing strong healthy role models for girls and women.
“We believe both organisations can work together to provide leadership for girls to help lift their aspirations. There is so much to be gained from linking elite sport to educational success,” Professor Harding said.
Under the partnership, JCU will offer scholarships to a number of players who wish to undertake tertiary study.
Last year JCU joined the National Network of Elite Athlete Friendly Universities, which provides support for athletes to help balance sport and study.
Professor Harding said it’s crucial that athletes be able to combine their sporting and academic aspirations.
“We want to help the players from the JCU Townsville Fire reach their full potential so they can boost their prospects once they retire from professional sport”.
JCU and the Fire are also looking at options for the University’s students to undertake work placements at the club’s Townsville base.
JCU already provides support to the North Queensland Cowboys, and the Cairns’ teams the Northern Pride and the JCU Mariners.
The JCU Townsville Fire has excelled in the WNBL in recent years. The team has played in the finals in the past three seasons, and in the past two grand finals.
The Fire’s 10-player team boasts five international players, three of whom have competed at the Olympics.
Richard Davis Head of Media and Communications, JCU
0413 451 475 / (07) 4781 4822 email@example.com
Richard Goodbody General Manager, JCU Townsville Fire
0448 445 506/ (07) 4729 0091 firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses