You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Budding scientists welcome at Internet of Things race
Budding scientists welcome at Internet of Things race
Budding scientists welcome at Internet of Things race
Student Ashley Gillman examines some monitoring equipment
Cook University teams will be in a race with a difference this weekend, spotlighting the emerging ‘Internet of Things’ (IoT) technology as they compete to monitor differing habitats.
The Sprint Sensor challenge will see four teams each assigned a different habitat – wetlands, woodland, a suburban grassed backyard, and a coastal dune.
Director of the eResearch Centre at JCU, Professor Ian Atkinson, believes the day will be a great opportunity for students from local schools and universities to work together.
“They will be challenged and deliver a tangible outcome in just one busy day. Anyone who participates in sprint events finds them a great learning experience and really fulfilling.”
The objective of a ‘sprint day’ is rapid collaboration to design, build and implement a complete engineering product.
Competitors will construct and deploy sensors in all four habitats, with the results graphically displayed on a website accessible to the public.
Teams will write the software, and design, construct and install the system in the field. The team with the best overall product wins.
There will be approximately 30 students from JCU competing, including ten visiting students from Rowan University in the United States.
JCU engineering lecturer Bronson Philippa said anyone with an interest in using electronics for environmental monitoring is welcome to attend.
“People can come along to learn about sensor networks, talk to our students, and even get behind a soldering iron to help out,” he said.
The joint JCU-Townsville City Council collaboration will take place on Saturday May 23, 9am to 4pm, at the Rowes Bay Sustainability Centre in Townsville (located near the Rowes Bay Golf Club).
JCU and Townsville City Council staff will be on-hand to help educate the public on the Internet of Things as well as describe the teams’ activities as they evolve.
Professor Paul Dirks, Dean of the College of Science, Technology and Engineering said JCU staff are excited to help the community explore the importance of the emerging technologies.
“They will offer students a new range of job opportunities in the future and JCU is well placed to supply the growing need for IoT specialists,” he said.
Contact: Bronson Philippa
P: (07) 4781 4349
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture