Apply now

Fees and costs

2023 and 2024 Study Abroad Fees

The standard full-time study load is 4 subjects (12 credit points) per semester.

If you plan to enrol in 3 subjects (9 credit points) only, you must have written approval from your home university.

There are two main Study Periods each year which are each 13 weeks long.
* Semester 1 - February-June
* Semester 2 - July-November

Semester Study Abroad Program Fee AUD
Undergraduate semester (9 credit points) $9,675
Undergraduate semester (12 credit points)$12,900
Postgraduate semester (9 credit points)$11,055
Postgraduate semester (12 credit points)$14,740

There are three trimesters each year which are each 10 weeks long.
* Trimester 1 - February-May
* Trimester 2 - May-August
* Trimester 3 - September-December

Undergraduate and Postgraduate Business, Commerce, Tourism and Information Technology Courses are in the Trimester Model. See the Trimester FAQ page for the most up-to-date list of courses.

Trimester Study Abroad Program Fee AUD
Undergraduate trimester (9 credit points) $7,350
Undergraduate trimester (12 credit points) $9,800
Postgraduate trimester (9 credit points) $8,850
Postgraduate trimester (12 credit points) $11,800

Please consider all required expenses, which must be paid upon acceptance of your offer, and any additional expenses you need to pay when you arrive. Student discounts are available during study.

*The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is not incorporated into the semester or annual tuition fee for international fee-paying students. An additional payment will be required.

Before you leave home

You must pay a commencement deposit when you accept an offer to study at JCU. Please check your Letter of Offer for a full description of upfront payments.

The commencement deposit usually consists of:

  • Study Abroad program fee for one teaching period (semester or trimester) as listed above; and
  • The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) for Study Abroad and Exchange students is determined by the length of time you study at JCU. Students studying for 12 months will pay 100% of the maximum permissible amount for the calendar year. Students studying for 6 months will pay 50% of the maximum permissible amount for the calendar year. Check the current SSAF amounts and SSAF payment procedure for more information.
  • Student Visa applicants must pay for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This compulsory Australian Immigration requirement must cover the length of the visa and cannot be waived by the university.
  • Belgian and Norwegian students are exempt if they have the appropriate health coverage with their own national provider. Find out more at OSHC.
  • Swedish students may be exempt but must provide JCU with a copy of their Kammarkollegiet insurance details. If not covered by Kammarkollegiet Swedish students must pay the OSHC amount.

For further information about your visa and health insurance requirements refer to the Department of Home Affairs website.

John Grey Hall.

You can apply to live on campus through the JCU Accommodation Service. Learn more about accommodation options in Townsville and Cairns.

There are also off campus accommodation options available. Learn more

Living Costs

North Queensland offers a unique combination of stunning climate, pollution-free environment, multicultural population, and a significantly lower cost of living than other Australian cities. Learn more about Townsville and Cairns.

Orpheus island.
Field Trips

JCU students participate in hands-on learning in unique and spectacular locations including the Australia Outback and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed rainforests of the Wet Tropics and the Great Barrier Reef. Many JCU subjects include field trips (additional fees apply) to various locations within our unique region.  Learn more

Financial aid

Although JCU does not offer financial assistance or scholarships to Study Abroad students, students from certain countries may be eligible to use their home government funding in Australia. For example, students from the United States may be able to use their Federal Aid for Study Abroad at JCU. Federal Aid applications for study abroad programs must be assessed and processed by the home school, not by JCU.

Students from other countries should also enquire directly with their home school/study abroad agent/representative to find out if they are eligible to take their government-funded financial aid abroad.