You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU graduation this weekend
JCU graduation this weekend
Nearly 700 James Cook University students will attend their graduation ceremony this weekend in Townsville, after years of hard work and study.
The 692 students, graduating from courses across four faculties (Law, Business and the Creative Arts; Science and Engineering; Medicine, Health and Molecular Sciences; and Arts, Education and Social Sciences) will take part in three separate ceremonies on Friday and Saturday.
Three Honorary Doctorates will also be presented during the proceedings, which will take place at the Townsville Entertainment Centre.
The Honourable Ian David Francis Callinan AC, QC, LLB (Qld) will receive a Citation for the Award of Honorary Doctor of Laws (Honoris causa).
As a justice of the High Court, Ian Callinan was well known for his judicial support for the doctrine of federalism and for applying originalism in constitutional interpretation. He was also known for his support for the development of a statutory tort to protect against the invasion of privacy.
He was a most significant contributor to the development of Australian jurisprudence, and his decisions are cited, referred to, challenged and reported on by lawyers, governments, academics and students throughout Australia.
Professor Henry Reynolds, MA (UTas), DLitt (JCU) will be awarded an Honorary Doctor of Letters (Honoris causa).
Professor Reynolds first worked at University College of Townsville – the forerunner of James Cook University - as a lecturer in history, later obtaining a Doctorate of Letters in history. He set up the Australian history program and his remarkable series of works on Australian race relations saw him promoted to Associate Professor.
Recognised today as a leading public intellectual, Professor Reynolds transformed the study of history in Australia. The work that Professor Reynolds and Professor Noel Loos, his co-researcher and fellow oral historian at JCU, did with Eddie Koiki Mabo is seen as highly significant in encouraging Eddie to put forward his famous case for land rights over his native island of Mer.
Eminent Queensland scientist and bio-entrepreneur, Professor Peter Andrews AO, BSci (Hons) PhD (Melb), FRACI, FTSE, FAICD will be awarded with an Honorary Doctor of Science.
Professor Andrews completed his PhD in the pharmacological applications of quantum chemistry at the University of Melbourne in 1969.
He pursued a research and teaching career in drug design and structure-activity relationships, and is the author of more than 100 publications.
He holds two patents for his inventions and has led multifunctional scientific teams at research institutions in Victoria and Queensland including being chairman of the Australian Institute of Marine Science from 1995 until 1998.
Professor Andrews has been at the forefront of initiatives to develop the Australian biotechnology industry and has been an active participant in the commercialisation of Australian science and research.
Issued: April 11, 2012
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture