You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Massive work on coastal science launched
Massive work on coastal science launched
A James Cook University academic has produced what is believed to be the world’s most comprehensive work on estuarine and coastal science.
The collection of 12 books - The Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science – has more than 350 authors from across the world and runs to about 6000 pages
Dr Eric Wolanski, Adjunct Professor in JCU’s School of Marine and Tropical Biology and Principal Research Officer in the Australian Centre for Tropical Freshwater Research, said the volumes took about four years to complete.
Dr Wolanski co-edited the Treatise with Dr Donald McLusky from Scotland’s Stirling University, and it will be launched next Tuesday (April 24) at the Eddie Koiki Mabo Library on JCU’s Townsville campus.
“Estuarine and coastal areas are among the most heavily impacted by human settlement and activities worldwide, and those impacts will worsen with human population growth and climate change,” Dr Wolanski said.
“These 12 books show how science can find solutions for sustainable human and ecosystem well-being – i.e. the ‘Technology’ side of the science - as much as the Science itself.”
The books cover geography, geomorphology, hydrodynamics including modeling, geology, geochemistry and biogeochemistry.
“They also cover ecology and modeling estuarine ecosystems, and address the human impacts, practical measures of remediation and restoration, as well as the ecological economics of estuaries and coasts,” Dr Wolanski said.
An Associate at the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS), Dr. Wolanski has been studying estuarine and coastal science since 1972.
In 2007 he was invited by Elsevier, one of the world’s leading publishers of science and health care information, to start planning for the Treatise.
He approached Dr McLusky to assist and together they drafted a plan and based on that, Elsevier surveyed more than 600 scientists and practitioners in estuarine and marine science worldwide.
“They found enormous interest and indeed many willing authors,” he said.
“The main difficulties were to coordinate to ensure there were no gaps and no duplication, secondly, authors were very busy, thirdly we had to coordinate 1000 reviewers, and finally the global financial crisis nearly killed the project but Elsevier decided to still publish the Treatise as it saw it as important.”
The work involved 23 volume editors, all internationally known experts in their field and based throughout the world, while each of the 12 books comprises 10-15 chapters, and each chapter is an in-depth, state-of-the-art review.
Dr Wolanski said that the Treatise would be valuable to many groups including graduate students, academics and researchers, as well as industry and coastal managers including irrigators and hydroelectricity authorities, city councils, port authorities, and government departments involved in river basin land-use management as well as estuarine and coastal development and management.
“The Treatise should stimulate beneficial interactions and actions across disciplines, across communities, and across nations.”
Dr Wolanski said the Treatise would be continually updated and upgraded on the web so it will be a live document.
Issued 20 April 2012
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture