You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News Biomedicine: discovering the science of medicine
Biomedicine: discovering the science of medicine
First published 20 August 2012
James Cook University has refreshed its biomedicine course to help give students interested in medical science more choices in their area of study.
Biomedicine is a form of medical science that combines biology and science principles, which function in a clinical practice setting.
Associate Professor Jeffrey Warner, from JCU’s School of Microbiology and Immunology, said the new course was about flexibility.
“People wanting a career in tropical health and medicine will now have a range of flexible study options at JCU,” he said.
Associate Professor Warner said the undergraduate programs offered subjects ranging from molecular and cellular biology to physiological processes of the mind and body to the basis of health and disease.
“The subjects offer a broad scope for learning about areas that underpin all of the issues of health and life in the tropics,” he said.
“If you are unsure what direction in science to take and you are intrigued about the science of life and health with a particular tropical focus, biomedicine is the path to choose.
“Depending on your choice, after year two you could be directed towards a career in pathology, research or other allied health options and, of course, these degrees are a great start to postgraduate medicine.”
Associate Professor Warner said the ‘next generation’ of medical scientists would have a greater understanding of issues highly relevant to today’s society.
“Students will be encouraged to take a critical approach to their studies in relating knowledge to scientific research, and are encouraged to think critically and analytically.”
The courses also incorporate subjects at the cutting edge of scientific discovery, which include Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology or Physiology and Pharmacology.
“If you’re a highly motivated student who is passionate about creating a better lifestyle for tropical communities, this program will offer an unsurpassed opportunity.”
To find out more about the exciting changes to the programs, The School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences is having an official launch tomorrow (August 21).
Presentations will include:
Anthony Baker: Final year PhD student at JCU
Germs, Jets and a Shovel: My adventures in science.
Associate Professor Zoltan Sarnyai: Lecturer in Pharmacology
Biomedicine and Your Future (and the World's)
Associate Professor Wayne Melrose: Lecturer in Parasitology
Lymphatic filariasis surveillance and control in PNG: where a BMedLabSci degree has taken me.
Townsville: Tuesday 21 August, 6.30-8.30pm
Location: School Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Building 97/room 106.
For more information or interviews, contact Mia Vaudrey on (07) 4781 4604 or 0457 509 601
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture