You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU historian’s book wins top prize
JCU historian's book wins top prize
First published 12 December, 2012
James Cook University’s Associate Professor Russell McGregor’s Indifferent Inclusion has won the 2012 NSW Premier’s Australian History Prize.
The book maps the complex relationship between Indigenous and settler Australians during the middle four decades of the twentieth century.
It was published by Aboriginal Studies Press, the publishing arm of the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) in Canberra.
In handing down their decision, the judges said the book was “critical to an understanding of twentieth century Aboriginal history and to an explanation of changing notions of Australian citizenship”.
“Indifferent Inclusion maps the changing ways in which the Australian Governments defined the concept of assimilation and developed more inclusive policies to incorporate Indigenous people into the Australian community, in the period from Federation to the 1967 referendum and beyond,” they said.
“(Associate Professor McGregor) suggests that inclusion was less a function of a political actionthan of a social and cultural campaign as Aboriginal Australians challenged the apathy of European Australians and claimed a place within the nation.
“This book is filled with sharp insights into particular events and movements, and establishes a rich general context for this complex and important story.”
JCU Vice-Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding said she hoped Indifferent Inclusion might encourage settler Australians to be more willing to consider, perhaps even embrace, the full inclusion of Aboriginal people in the Australian nation.
“Russell’s beautifully weighted work ends with an appeal — to do much better than continue to consider issues of the national inclusion of Aboriginal Australians as polarized polemic,” she said.
Associate Professor McGregor said he was “surprised and delighted” when his name was announced as winner.
“These award ceremonies are rather tense affairs since no-one - except the judges - has any idea who the winners are before they are announced,” he said.
He said some of the $15,000 prize-money may go toward a holiday in Greece.
“What better place for an historian to holiday in?” he joked.
Associate Professor McGregor said his next venture was to write another book, but on quite a different topic.
“The next one will be a history of Australian ambitions to 'develop the north', from colonial times to the present day. The ambition to develop the north has been a recurring theme - sometimes more like an obsession - running through Australian history, and once again it is topical today.”
Indifferent Inclusion was also shortlisted in Australian History Prize in the Prime Minister’s Literary Awards earlier this year.
For interviews, contact: Associate Professor McGregor 07 4781 4987.
JCU Media contact: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586 or 0437 028 175
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture