You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News JCU graduates top the field in fellowship exams
JCU graduates top the field in fellowship exams
31 January 2012
Two medical graduates from James Cook University have topped the field of doctors sitting fellowship exams for the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners in 2011.
Dr Lara Sewell of Toowoomba won the Queensland award, titled the Maureen Duke and Marian Sullivan Memorial Award and Dr Jerome Muir Wilson of George Town in Tasmania won the Tasmanian award, titled the Faculty Examination Medal.
Both Dr Sewell and Dr Muir Wilson graduated from JCU’s School of Medicine and Dentistry in 2007.
The awards are state-based and given to General Practice Registrars achieving outstanding results in RACGP Fellowship examinations.
Dr Sewell’s award was for the General Practice Registrar who passed two components of the exams - an ‘applied knowledge’ test and ‘key feature problems’ - within the last three years and received the highest score on their first attempt.
“I didn’t expect to do so well in the exam, I felt confident that I passed but that was all once it was over,” Dr Sewell said.
“The preparation for the OSCE – the objective structured clinical examination, where clinical tests are undertaken, was much less strenuous than the preparation for the written, in fact the preparation was pretty relaxed.
“My favourite part of the exam process was celebrating after it was finished, it was very exciting to receive the award and it made my day,” she said.
Dr Muir Wilson’s award went to the GP candidate of at least 12 months’ residency who received the highest pass score in each exam within the last three years, and sat their last exam in 2011.
Dr Muir Wilson works in George Town’s 15-bed general practice and country hospital.
“It was a nice surprise to win an award I didn't know existed and was even more fun when I found Lara, a fellow JCU grad and friend, also won an award,” Dr Muir Wilson said.
Both Dr Muir Wilson and Dr Sewell are spending 2012 travelling Australia with their respective partners, getting even more rural health experience through locum work.
Professor Tarun Sen Gupta, Director of Medical Education at JCU, said the recognition of JCU graduates highlighted the success of the program.
“It points to the impact of JCU across Australia and success in postgraduate exams in a variety of disciplines, including general practice, in different geographic locations,” Professor Sen Gupta said.
“We are proud, with some justification, we think, of all JCU graduates, but were delighted to see news of this award. Congratulations and best wishes from the staff and alumni of the School of Medicine.”
For media comment please contact Professor Tarun Sen Gupta, tel: 4781 6858 or 0417 734 759
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture