You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Featured News ‘Next generation’ business degree
'Next generation' business degree at JCU
Students will now be able to complete a James Cook University business degree online, or on campus at Townsville, Cairns, Brisbane or Singapore, as part of a reinvigorated course structure.
The new JCU business degree, which starts next year, has been developed to keep pace with the ever-changing business world.
Head of the School of Business, Professor David Low, said the Bachelor of Business incorporated initiatives such as embedding sustainability within the course and the opportunity for students to spend time studying in the business hub of Asia.
“JCU has undertaken extensive consultation with industry in redesigning this degree to ensure its graduates are among the business leaders of the future,” Professor Low said.
“This ‘next generation’ degree boasts a flexible, attractive learning environment where the qualities and skills valued by employers of choice are instilled in students, better preparing them for the rapidly changing business world.
“It is unique in that it offers the option of study in Singapore, the business hub of Asia, providing students with the invaluable opportunity to absorb Asian culture and business methods.
“It is also the first course to fully embed sustainability throughout its structure, taking into account economic, social, cultural and environmental values to position the degree to fit sustainably within its place of delivery in the tropics.”
Professor Low said in keeping with JCU’s strength as one of the world’s leading institutions in the tropics, the degree focused on the skills needed to work in and operate a business in the tropics.
“The tropics bring a specific set of challenges, so students will learn to operate independently with little supervision, to cope with operations in remote locations where there are fewer resources and will gain an understanding of industries that operate in tropical locations,” he said.
“Many of these skills are invaluable throughout the business world and are transferrable to other locations ensuring students can begin their career where they want.”
Professor Low said just as the business world encompassed many industries, a JCU Business degree would allow students to include a major in non-discipline areas such as Indigenous studies, law, health, sustainability or creative arts.
“This means students can custom build their degree to suit the career they desire while ensuring they gain the core skills required of a Business graduate,” he said.
“What students learn in class is put into practice in the real world from the first year through to the third,” he said.
“Business students engage with industry through real-life case studies and site visits, giving them the advantage of looking at potential career paths and relating what they are learning to the real world.
“All the skills acquired throughout the course are put into practice in third year when students undertake a consulting project for a real company.
“Cross-disciplinary teaching is also incorporated so students from disciplines such as marketing, information technology and accounting work together to solve complex problems just as they would in the real business world.”
Issued: July 20, 2012
Media enquiries: Caroline Kaurila (07) 4781 4586
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture